Highlighted

Change color of spot healing brush cursor

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been literally been going blind trying to use the Spot Heeling Brush on gray backgrounds. I can't see the cursor! Is there some way of changing the cursor color… possibly to bright red?  This problem is particularly pronounced when trying to remove artifacts affecting images of the sky in old black-and-white photos.  I'm using Photoshop CS6.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by NB, colourmanagement | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Jack

Thanks for your thanks - please would you be so kind as to mark my earlier reply as "helpful". it's thanks that make the world go round ';~}

As you do not have the option to alter the cursor colour, why not change the image temporarily whilst you get rid of the faults?

How about this, add a  temporary "adjustment layer" to your original image that needs to be retouched, using that layer, adjust the tone or perhaps even add colour - your cursor will show now. next finish the retouch and discard the temporary adjustment layer.

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct" below, so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Change color of spot healing brush cursor

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been literally been going blind trying to use the Spot Heeling Brush on gray backgrounds. I can't see the cursor! Is there some way of changing the cursor color… possibly to bright red?  This problem is particularly pronounced when trying to remove artifacts affecting images of the sky in old black-and-white photos.  I'm using Photoshop CS6.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by NB, colourmanagement | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Jack

Thanks for your thanks - please would you be so kind as to mark my earlier reply as "helpful". it's thanks that make the world go round ';~}

As you do not have the option to alter the cursor colour, why not change the image temporarily whilst you get rid of the faults?

How about this, add a  temporary "adjustment layer" to your original image that needs to be retouched, using that layer, adjust the tone or perhaps even add colour - your cursor will show now. next finish the retouch and discard the temporary adjustment layer.

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct" below, so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 03, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a question about Photoshop or Photoshop Elements?

You've posted to the Premiere Elements forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't find a discussion group for Photoshop CS6, although the problem also likely affects Elements.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2017 0
May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jackm4630927  wrote

I couldn't find a discussion group for Photoshop CS6, although the problem also likely affects Elements.

This forum covers all versions of the full Photoshop app all the way back when it was first released. 

Are you asking about seeing the cursor outline against tones around the 50% grey value?  I will say that the cursor is more apparent in this screen shot, than it looked in Photoshop.

As you know, cursors and paths automatically show as black up to 50% grey, and white beyond 50% grey, and with a one pixel thickness.  I can imagine that can be a problem on high def displays.  With paths one trick is to add a lay and fill it with black, and set the layer's opacity to 50%.  This forces a white cursor that shows quite well — especially against busy backgrounds.

What I am not so clear about is that once you touch down with the healing brush you can see the extent of your brush strokes, so I might be missing the point.  If you still need help, perhaps you can paste a screen shot here to demonstrate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SHB_Cursor.JPG

Place a 15 px spot healing brush cursor in the grey area identified by the white line -  it will nearly disappear.  Working on such images (this is part of a restored WWII photo) for hours at a time causes significant eye strain.  A colored cursor (e.g. red) would be much appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2017 3
May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jack

I hope this helps

thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but your answer is not satisfactory because in my case and as with all photo retouchers, we need to work on black and white images. This problem appeared when I changed my computer and my screen with the new version of Photoshop. I think this is a pixel size problem of the cursor on 4K screens ... We really have to find a solution because this problem affects a lot of people. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 1
May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2017 0
May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jackm

does this help at all, I fear it's all that's available in options, but may not offer all the options you'd like?:

Work with Cursors Options

1. Click the Edit (Win) or Photoshop (Mac) menu, point to Preferences, and then click Cursors.
  2. Select the Painting Cursors options you want to use: Standard. ...
  3. Select the Other Cursors options you want to use: Standard. ...
  4. Click OK. Click to view larger image.

I hope this helps

thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the spot healing brush does standout using your suggestion, but it's difficult to judge brush size with this cursor.  Being able to change cursor color would solve the problem, but apparently it's not an option in Photoshop.  Thanks for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2017 1
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any word on this problem getting fixed? Any brush using a "Normal Brush Tip" in the PS Preferences, is virtually impossible to see on a 50% gray. That's a lot of neutral colored backgrounds, metals, etc. that professionals are trying to clean up. You guys fixed the pen tool with the latest PS 19.0. Thanks. Can't you help us with the brushes? We can't see what we're doing. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2017 7
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working on a lot of B&W images here this week and having this same trouble, the healing brush nearly impossible to see. After 15 minutes my eyes are buggy. Having the ability to make the outline of the brush red or cyan would be a very simple fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2018 3
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add adjustment layer temporary till neccery

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I've been doing. It does work, but is not ideal. We can change the color of all the guides, why not tool outlines too? Seems like a much better fix than having to work through a color filter all day.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2018 3
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We really do need the option to change the color of the cursor, especially the healing brush tool. Thanks for the other ideas, they are helpful, but we really need to be able to change the cursor color when working with monochrome images.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2018 4
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

I work only on B&W photos and it's a PITA dealing with the healing brush. Please allow us to change its color, or at least be able to switch to - say - solid red. Likewise for other tools (e.g., lasso).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a meeting with Adobe staff years ago about possible improvements to solve this very problem and they were, to put it mildly, unconcerned in the extreme about this problem. It left me feeling that they don't use their app for hours a day the way we do. I even suggested to them what I thought would be a wonderfully useful addition which is for them to have the cursor change to a contrasting color as it moves over an image. The stamp and healing tools both desperately need this. And yes, at this point, just being able to configure a color would be an enormous help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2019 1