Change photo ratio

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am an occassional user of Photoshop, and do not know if what I am trying to do can be accomplihed in Photoshop. My camera's photo ratio is 4:3. I work on websites and frequently have a hard time finding images that will fit on the website. Image ratio needed on a website are different than my camera.I often find myself in a situation where the height of an image needed for a website is so small, it is difficult to find an image I can use.

Here is an example of what I am trying to do. The photo needed for the header of the currunt project needs to be 730px x 120px. My oroginal photo is 6000px 4000px. 

cropped.jpg

I would like they photo for the website to look similar to this one, but the height in this image is almost 2 1/2 times greater than what I can use.

When the image is cropped to the correct size to fit on the webpage, the image becomes unreconizable. 

25 to 4 ratio.jpg

Is there a way crop an image so it doesn't look chopped off. In the past I tried playing with the image ratios, and that did not work out well.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Ed 

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Change photo ratio

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am an occassional user of Photoshop, and do not know if what I am trying to do can be accomplihed in Photoshop. My camera's photo ratio is 4:3. I work on websites and frequently have a hard time finding images that will fit on the website. Image ratio needed on a website are different than my camera.I often find myself in a situation where the height of an image needed for a website is so small, it is difficult to find an image I can use.

Here is an example of what I am trying to do. The photo needed for the header of the currunt project needs to be 730px x 120px. My oroginal photo is 6000px 4000px. 

cropped.jpg

I would like they photo for the website to look similar to this one, but the height in this image is almost 2 1/2 times greater than what I can use.

When the image is cropped to the correct size to fit on the webpage, the image becomes unreconizable. 

25 to 4 ratio.jpg

Is there a way crop an image so it doesn't look chopped off. In the past I tried playing with the image ratios, and that did not work out well.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Ed 

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 06, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just basic geometry. Any rectangle has a width : height ratio. You need to decide where to crop to get a different ratio. You can stretch the image if that's what you want - but Photoshop can't violate geometry.

The alternative is to rebuild the whole image, which you can do with Photoshop using several tools and techniques.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you list the tools and techniques, so I can explore them?

Thank you

Ed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not always be able to create ask acceptable wide panorama aspect ration image using your cameras 4:3  images without using software to stitch images you have taken to be stitched.   With a single 4:3 image you have two choices when it come to  changing an image's aspect ration. Crop to the aspect ratio.  How much image content will be lost depends on how wide the aspect ratio is. The other choice is distort your image to the size image you want,  The best way to do that would be with Photoshop feature content aware scale.  Menu Edit>Content Aware Scale.   It will try to resizing recognized  object in scaled to preserve their perspective.  You can help by masking areas you do not want distorted.  However there will be distortion and if you mask all will be distorted like any unconstrained resize.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0
Ed_R LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you it worked great

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed, since you are responsible for both art and design and the source of the problem is camera format, I suggest that is where the problem you described can be solved. It is a method I used in my view camera days and easily applied if you use a tripod for your work, with adequate time to compose each image. 

Create templates, cards that fit your camera screen, and cut an aperture in each to a ratio you use most frequently. Use one to compose your image. You will probably find that altering vantage point or lens focal length will allow you to create images that don’t have to be shoehorned into your predesigned space in the layout.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 2