• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change the opacity of a shape in a layer

Participant ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two shapes on one layer and I want to change the opacity of one shape only and not the entire layer. Is there a way to change the opacity of a single shape on a layer and not the entire layer?

I am bewildered by the complexity required to do the simplest of things with Adobe products please help.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

On your first question (adjusting the opacity of one shape on a layer which contains two or more) you could:

a. Add a mask and adjust the transparency using a suitable grey value

davescm_1-1602194347782.png

b. Separate that shape element onto a new layer and use opacity

On your second question (making more than one shape element on a single layer) set the option bar to Combine shapes

davescm_0-1602194108950.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

My screenshot was v21.2.4

Please show a screenshot of your options bar with the pen or shape tool selected

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I have only one shape in one layer because Photoshop makes a new layer for every shape and it's infuriating. So if anyone knows how to fix that problem it would be much appreciated if they would share that information with me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your first question (adjusting the opacity of one shape on a layer which contains two or more) you could:

a. Add a mask and adjust the transparency using a suitable grey value

davescm_1-1602194347782.png

b. Separate that shape element onto a new layer and use opacity

On your second question (making more than one shape element on a single layer) set the option bar to Combine shapes

davescm_0-1602194108950.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 So there's just no way to select the shape and slide the opacity?

2 on my workspace there is no option to combine shapes. Meaning I can't click the button and select the option as you did in the photo because the button that looks like two rectangles is nonexistent.  I don't know if you're using an older version or a newer one, but I am on Adobe Photoshop 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My screenshot was v21.2.4

Please show a screenshot of your options bar with the pen or shape tool selected

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OOOOOh i have to have the shape tool selected!!!!!! it's there. Thanks again. I think I need to go back to my school and ask for a refund because there are so many things that they did not teach me about the software. Thanks again man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines