• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changed drive letter, now cannot install any CC apps

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently after installed a new HHD, i decided to change the Drive letter of the previous drive i was using which is where my creative cloud apps were installed to. I am aware that when you change the drive letter, any apps that use it might break and i went around to most of the non CC apps i had installed and was able to fix them however CC no longer works. Every time i try to install an app it installs to about 6 or 7% and then I get Error code 176 and nothing will fix it. I've tried changing the install locations to 3 different drives and none have worked, i've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling CC but that also did not work. The only thing i can think of is to uninstall CC and then try to install the programs with direct downloads indivdually but i'm hoping there's an easier solution to this and i'm able to use CC the way it's supposed to be used.

Here is the error log I get and a photo below of Creative Cloud

Exit Code: 176
-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------
 - 2 fatal error(s), 0 error(s), 0 warnings(s) 

FATAL: Can't install to a network location
FATAL: Error occurred in install product workflow with error code 176 error message 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Changing the drive letter will mess everything up. This isn't about the program files. This is about the Windows registry, the entire communication between the operating system and applications.

Your only chance is to change it back, but if you made other changes in an attempt to "fix" it, it may be too late.

Assuming you do manage to sort this out, don't install applications on other drives. They should be on the system drive. If your system drive is getting full, this is not the way to sol

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the drive letter will mess everything up. This isn't about the program files. This is about the Windows registry, the entire communication between the operating system and applications.

Your only chance is to change it back, but if you made other changes in an attempt to "fix" it, it may be too late.

Assuming you do manage to sort this out, don't install applications on other drives. They should be on the system drive. If your system drive is getting full, this is not the way to solve that. Most of it ends up on the system drive anyway, in your user account. The space saving is negligible, a couple of GB only, and there are vastly more effective ways to clear out space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the response. I ended up changing the letter back and my issue has now fixed itself. I did intend to try editing the registry files so i could keep the new drive letter but it more than likely was just not worth it. 

I do however have to install most of my programs that are not windows on other drives as my C drive is only 125 GB's and get's filled up very easily but i have never found any issues using my other drives for things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, but 125 GB should work, as long as you keep all your documents elsewhere - and keep your user account reasonably clean. And find a place for the scratch disk.

I have Windows 10 pro, CC including 6 of the "heavy" applications, Office, and the usual assortment of minor apps - and it all occupies less than 80 GB.

Most of what fills up the system drive is accumulated junk in the user account. Keep an eye on it, and if the drive fills up above 100 GB, clean it out.

Photoshop itself is about 2GB if I recall correctly. Not much to save there.

Mind you, I'm not saying it's ideal, 125 is way too small to run PS efficiently. You need to figure out where to put the scratch disk, but you'd have to do that in any case. It needs anywhere from 100 to 500 GB free space. But that can be on another disk, as long as it's fast enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines