Highlighted

Changes in bottom layer (smart object) appear in top/upper layers

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I've started working with smart objects in PS and using Camera Raw (not the filter). 

In my work flow, I generally create two or three layers at least.  I have my background layer (which I'm going to start creating the background layer as a smart object so i can make changes to Camera Raw later on).  I then usually duplicate the layer or create a new layer and remove spots, and then at the very least, I add a nother layer on top of that that I put my watermark on, so basically I have three layers at the very least in most images (background/smart object layer, cropping and spot removal layer on top of that, and then finally a water marking layer on the very top).

My question is this: Is there a way that if I go back to the background layer / smart object and make changes to the Camera Raw adjustments (say, increase exposure or completely desaturate the photo) is there a way that I can have those Camera Raw adjustments flow through to the other layers on top of it?

I guess if I'm duplicating the layers, then I probably can't, but let's say I just create new blank layers (not duplicate)... can this be done some how that way?

(The reason I create the background/bottom layer as a smart object is so that I can go back to Camera Raw and make adjustments if I need to later on, but this idea of having those changes flow through to upper layers puzzles me as to how I could so this).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Changes in bottom layer (smart object) appear in top/upper layers

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I've started working with smart objects in PS and using Camera Raw (not the filter). 

In my work flow, I generally create two or three layers at least.  I have my background layer (which I'm going to start creating the background layer as a smart object so i can make changes to Camera Raw later on).  I then usually duplicate the layer or create a new layer and remove spots, and then at the very least, I add a nother layer on top of that that I put my watermark on, so basically I have three layers at the very least in most images (background/smart object layer, cropping and spot removal layer on top of that, and then finally a water marking layer on the very top).

My question is this: Is there a way that if I go back to the background layer / smart object and make changes to the Camera Raw adjustments (say, increase exposure or completely desaturate the photo) is there a way that I can have those Camera Raw adjustments flow through to the other layers on top of it?

I guess if I'm duplicating the layers, then I probably can't, but let's say I just create new blank layers (not duplicate)... can this be done some how that way?

(The reason I create the background/bottom layer as a smart object is so that I can go back to Camera Raw and make adjustments if I need to later on, but this idea of having those changes flow through to upper layers puzzles me as to how I could so this).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot including the Layers Panel.

If I understand your file structure correctly: No.

RAW content and plain pixel content in Photoshop are different, even though there is a Filter called Camera Raw; also some of the effects might be able to be emulated with Adjustment Layers.

How involved is your touch-up and do you need to do it in Photoshop itself?

Because »plain« Spot Removal can be done within Camera Raw.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am understanding you correctly, the response is no. For example, if you create an empty layer for cloning and healing purposes above the Smart Object, and then make color/tone adjustments to the Smart Object, your retouching layer only reflects the original retouching.

I try to do as much of my work within the Smart Object as possible

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines