Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing background color on PNG Icon File

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am new to Photoshop, and I am just trying to change the background color on a lightbulb icon image (PNG file).  I have tried following some of the steps that individuals have posted online, but nothing seems to work.  The lighbulb icon is white on top of a teal background.  I have tried attaching the file with my comment, but it isn't attaching for some reason.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the png does it currently have a colored background, an image background, an empty background, a gradient background?  Basically you select the background area and fill the selection with the background you want. If the current png has an empty background  you add a background under the existing layer.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJ,

Thank you.  The PNG has a colored background (teal).  I have tried attaching here, but every time I do, it says the upload results in an error.  It is similar to these lightbulbs, but the background is just a flat teal color:  https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gettyimages.ie%2Fdetail%2Fillustration%2Flight...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Image - Adjust - Replace Colour

An eye dropper will appear to pick your colour to change ... click on the Teal .... then use the bottom sliders to change it to something else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ro!  So, I know the RGB and CMYK of the color I want to change the background to.  How might I just put that info in without using the color sliders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well you click the bottom swatch in that panel and you can enter the specific color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ro,

So, when I click on Image<Adjustments<Replace color, that panel is not showing an area to enter a specific color.  It just has the sliders for Hue, Saturation and Lightness.  Is there another step I need to take to enter the specifc CMYK or RGB?

Thanks.  I apologize for the additional question on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link goes to a stock image. If you purchased it, it will come with a transparent background. You then just have to nake a new layer, move the new layer behind the light bulb layer, go to the paint bucket, and fill the new layer with any color you choose from the color library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Sorry, please disregard the link I provided.  I was just trying to show the type of icon I was working with and for some reason I can't upload the actual file.  But, yes, the icon file I am working with looks to have a transparent background.  Again, I am completely new on Photoshop.  How might I make a new layer and move the new layer behind the lightbulb, and select a new color with the paint bucket?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the replace colour panel, when you click the color square beside the sliders it will open a full colour selector window to enter specific colour 🤔

If you have a layer that is a background layer it will be locked to the bottom - just double-click it and give it a name - this will turn it into a regular layer  that can be dragged over and under other layers - 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ro!

Okay, that works.  Appreciate it.  The only issue I am running into now is I will change the background color for one icon, then select another icon to change the background color on, and nothing happens after I select the correct RGB or CMYK.  It looks to be stuck on the color that I previously chose.  Is there a way to reset, so I can select a new background color for a new icon?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well remember you have to first give it the new colour to replace! 😮 with the eye dropper in the 'replace colour' panel. Click the top colour box and the color window comes up but move it over and use the eye dropper on your image to set the color to be replaced.... 🤔 then to the bottom color box to add a new color 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link you posted does not seem to be a url for a png file. If your png has a colored background select the color background and fill the selection.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link you posted is for a vector image with highlights and a gradient, not a solid color. If your image is also vector, open it in Illustrator, use Recolor Artwork, link the colors so they change as a unit, and drag the hue slider to change the color.

"Lightbulb Icon on Shiny Color Circle Buttons - stock vector"

Try attaching your image again. Use the Insert Image button in a Reply window. Do you have it in vector or only raster?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines