• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing deeper shortcuts not in the shortcut editor?

Engaged ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to change the shortcuts to the individual color channels within the Curves tool. Right now it's command 2,3,4 & 5 to get to all, red, green blue respectively. I use these so frequently that I need to sacrifice other shortcuts in order to get them to easier keystrokes but I can't find how to edit them.

Thanks!

Greg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Hi ultrachrome

I don't think these can be changed, at least not out of the box.

But notice that the shortcuts for the Channels in Curves match the shortcuts in the Channels panel with the exception of Option vs. Command. So for me, having them match is a bonus — that doesn't mean it works for you, of course!

If it could be done, it would be in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Panel menus > Adjustments

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ultrachrome

I don't think these can be changed, at least not out of the box.

But notice that the shortcuts for the Channels in Curves match the shortcuts in the Channels panel with the exception of Option vs. Command. So for me, having them match is a bonus — that doesn't mean it works for you, of course!

If it could be done, it would be in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Panel menus > Adjustments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane-E...It's that I use these so often and it's a bit of hand contortion but I guess it's not often enough accessed to make it to the shortcut editor.  I get the logic of it, but I would sacrifice the tool opacity shortcut to turn 2,3,4 and 5 without the command key into my curves channel keys. Not for everyone for sure. 

Weird that if you make a Curves adjustment layer that the shortcuts required in the curves layer uses the option key instead of the command key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ultrachrome  wrote

Weird that if you make a Curves adjustment layer that the shortcuts required in the curves layer uses the option key instead of the command key.

It isn't weird, it's to give you more keyboard control over what is being edited. When you use the Option key, you're changing the curve being edited. When you use the Command key, you're changing the channel being edited. Since they're different things, they should use different keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great answer!...I've always wondered why they were different and now I know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, those shortcuts can't be changed for some reason.    To make it easier than Cmd 2 etc. you'd need a single key solution, and you could do that with an Action.  I am not sure if we have always been able to use a Function key without a modifier to trigger an Action, but we can now.

You'd be sacrificing the default shortcut, but I find I don't miss them

F2 Cut

F3 Character Panel

F4 Adjustments Panel

F5 Brush Panels (I actually do like to use this one, but could live without it)

F6 Colour Panel

F7 Layers Panel

F8 Info Panel

F9 Actions Panel

F10 History Panel

F11 Timeline

F12 Revert  (too dangerous to trust to a single key IMO)

If you like the idea of single key shortcuts, another option is to use a Gaming keyboard with programmable keys.  I use a Logitech G910 keyboard that has three banks of nine G-keys.  They are context sensitive (least ways they are with Logitech's new G-Hub control software) so you could set a single key to produce Cmd 2, etc.  You can program a long shortcut directly to a G-Key.  I love this functionality, and would hate to be without it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've wondered...(but not to the point of checking with the company yet) if they could be assigned to something like a Palette control Surface.  Interesting idea about the gaming keyboard...Haha...just when I got my beloved mac keyboard to function like a Mac keyboard on a PC computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea on the Function keys, Trevor.Dennis​! Does your gaming mouse work on a Mac?

To ultrachrome​: on your Mac, the function keys by default are set to sound, brightness, etc., and you have to use fn + the function key to get the function key. You can reverse this in System Preferences, and I always do on the first day of any new Mac so that F10 by itself is F10 and I have to press fn + F10 to mute my sound. If you want to use Trevor’s shortcut without the fn key, be sure to toggle this control.

And take Trevor’s advice about the F12 key for Revert!

D50657C2-C62B-40E9-807D-7C1B3C9B1B84.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jane ....I just switched from Mac to PC last week so I have a lot on my hands to figure out I've modified my keyboard already to basically have the same keystrokes as I did with my Mac so this solution might complicate things even further. Been on Mac since the mid 1990s...big change. So far so good mostly though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines