• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy Panning in 21.1.0 when "Flick Panning" is disabled (FIXED)

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to check in, if there's other users who experience a problem with panning the image, without having "flick panning" enabled in the preferences.

In my case the canvas  basically refreshes only after I have stopped my panning motion, so that there's no smooth movement during panning, only the state before panning and the state after panning. Only if I scroll REALLY slowly - like snail speed - I see the canvas moving along. As soon as I accelerate to a normal panning speed, the above behavior goes into effect.

I first thought that this might be a graphics card driver issue but then I noticed that when I turn on "flick panning" in the preferences, suddently panning is performed smoothly (but with the annoying floaty overshooting motion of flick panning, that I'd like to avoid).

Can anyone confirm? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the June release of Photoshop 22.4.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 22.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panning is much smoother and more responsive with "flick panning enabled".  Perhaps its done via GPU when enabled. And is less responsive and jummpy when not enabled where all is done using your processor.

If you do not release the mouse button quickly there is no costing. Panning is resposive and where you want the image no costing.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The panning behavior without "flick panning" being enabled was just fine before the latest update. It was smooth and responsive but just without the gimmicky floating of the canvas that "flick panning" introduces. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been noticing the same behavior since the 21.1.0 update. Panning is jittery and laggy. Enabling "flick panning" definitely makes it smoother but I'm not a fan of the flick panning feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one having that problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use and like Flick Panning, but in the latest update even that has gotten uncomfortably jittery when it wasn't before. I have my GPU features enabled and didn't have a problem with this in the previous version (using an RTX2080).

I regret updating to Photoshop20 and unistalling 19, as that was much more stable (I've had a couple other issues, some of which have been resolved after a while, but not all).

I dislike that adobe won't let me download 19 again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many have reinstalled 21.0.3 there are to many issued in 21.1.0

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, panning is really choppy and performs horribly when flick panning is off. When turning flick panning is on, it returns to the normal smooth operation its supposed to have but adds the extra acceleration at the end which I don't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a nvidia 1080 ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I installed the new Photoshop version today (22.0.0) and the choppy panning is still an issue. It still can be resolved by activating flick panning but I the slippery feeling of flick panning and I just want to smoothly pan my canvas. Come on, is it that hard? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything that was written in these and other similar posts - nothing helped.
I accidentally found a solution. I checked the box to Scroll All Windows in the Hand Tool settings.
Now everything is smooth. It also helps a little to lower the mouse polling rate (I had 1000)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks deomis! this fixed it for me. why the hell would this cause the panning to be choppy? ive been having this issue for a long time and though the only way to help it was lower my mouse polling rate which i don't want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the June release of Photoshop 22.4.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 22.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Abash,

Im still having issues on the latest version of PS with choppy motion when panning. Windows 10 pro latest version, nvidia 3080, 5900x ryzen. When I use the hand tool and move around the canvas, it isn't completely smooth and it microstutters. Any idea whats going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue. This troubleshooting is truly exhausting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines