Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chromebooks :/

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

Can you tell me if the apps for Adobe to use on Chromebooks are free to use? I am trying to find ways to move my classes quickly online from home if needed again and want to be prepared. We have CC in the school building. Many of our students have Chromebooks that they can take home. I know it won't be as robust as using it at school on a PC, but hoping it would be ok for some of their projects. Can anyone tell me how it worked for them during remote instruction? TIA. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The regular CC apps are obviously not available for Chromebooks / Android. Adobe's Android apps are rather (severely) limited "versions" of their bigger siblings. All apps can be installed for free as long as the user has a registered Adobe account: which means your students must be 13 years or older.

Some of the apps have in-app purchases to enable more functionality (Premiere, Lightroom), while others are completely free (PS Mix, Illustrator Draw, PS Sketch). The free apps cannot hold a candle to the actual CC applications, of course: they absolutely pale in comparison in regards to features and options. The Android apps might share the same name, but that is pretty much it.

Alternative apps (outside the Adobe ecosystem) allow for much more creative freedom. If your students need to continue work on their PSD files, then PhotoPea provides a very similar Photoshop experience (online web browser only). https://www.photopea.com/

Another great alternative is Krita, of which the full version was released a while ago for Android/Chromebooks. It also opens PSD files, and delivers a fully featured toolset for painting, as well as a pretty good compositing experience. Krita on Chromebook is the same as the desktop version: no corners cut. Free and open source. You will find it on the Google Play market. Krita is very powerful indeed with no strings attached.

Vectr a simple Illustrator alternative, with a native Chromebook version available as well. Also free. Be careful to get it from the original site (an app called vectr on the google play market is a very different app!): https://vectr.com/downloads/

Vectr is also available as an online app that works in the browser.

These are merely some suggestions: branch out a bit, look beyond Adobe, and by far more feature-rich and fun free apps are to be found for the young creative working on a Chromebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just stumbled across this thread randomly, but this might be interesting:

https://edex.adobe.com/projectphotoshopstreaming

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines