• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clearing space on PS 'Scratch Disk'

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a non-geek, fine art photographer in need!

I have a 2015 version of MacbookPro 13" Retina w/500 gB internal HD, quad core Intel 8mB RAM. Must clear space on PS scratch disk to cotinue refining 200+ Mb photo files but can't even get into PS now as I've used 499.8 gB in drive. Yes,  I'm an artist ... and a 'pack rat' with my significan photograpy photo files over the years -- probably not unusual for non-geek computer artists. HELP, PLEASE -- what TO DO?

Bob, ASC 'A'ssociate

bob@bobzahn.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to open PS file receive ERROR MESSAGE  that Scratch Disk is FULL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to move the files you are not using to an external drive and keep that drive with you in case you have to pull them up?

Another plan is your Creative Cloud storage or Dropbox, both which have versioning (keeping copies of any files you modify.

Both would free up drive space.

You can also add SSD storage to your 2015 MBP. I have 2TB on my mid-2012. That drive cost me $213.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuRM268LFb8

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me see ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving 2 dozen filed did the trik. TY, TY, TY!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to know. 🙂 Alway try the free and simple answers first.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And one other trick might be to add an external drive HFS formated and assign it as a scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I agree wholeheartidly with the below Reply.

If you have assigned scratch disk space on a drive that is being used for other purposes, it is quite possible for the other uses to fill up the disk such that the PS scratch allocation is meaningless.  I would suggest either not putting other files on the disk you are using for the PS scratch disk OR better, buy and dedicate a separate disk just for the PS scratch disk.  Otherwise, sooner or later the one disk will fill up and PS will be the loser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have four (4) external hard drives with adequate storage space. I have been trying to change from my system disk (SSD "C") to any one of the external drives.  In Preferences, I will change and then, later for no reason, swap back to my system drive.  I have PS CC-2021 on a Windows 10 PC.  Sometimes PS will load the photo for me and allow me to correct errors on the photo, but when I go to print PS trips off the line.  I can reload the photo and then PS will allow me to print the photo (90% of the time).  I'm attributing this problem to my scratch disk being full and I can't swap to another drive. This is driving me crazy because it prevents me from loading and printing photos - I'm on a photo restoration project and this is killing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, external disks are not optimal for use as scratch disk, but if you have to -

Assign a high drive letter in Windows, one that will never be used for anything else. Then it will stick and Photoshop recognize it next time. If you just plug the disk in, it gets the first drive letter that is available at the moment. Next time that may be something else.

That said, the biggest payoff is to clean out your system drive. A lot of junk will accumulate in your user account over time.This is where all your applications put settings and user data of all kinds.

A fairly standard configuration of operating system and applications, including a range of CC applications, should not take up much more than 100GB or so. If it's much more than that, it's time for cleanup.

Here's mine. I keep it religiously clean, and have all temp and cache files moved elsewhere:

system_disk.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.  I fully understand what you said, But - I have an SSD hard drive that I use for my system disk; the disk has a capacity of 118 GB and has 54 GB left as free. It seems that this is not enough for Photoshop (not always).  So my problem is: I don't know what files to move off my hard drive. Can I just start moving files to another hard drive; i.e., is my Windows 10 smart enough to know what I've done?  I'm a user and not much of a Geek. 

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a pinch, you can try to use an external disk as scratch disk. Make sure it's a reasonably fast interface like USB3 or thunderbolt. It's not an optimal solution.

The unpleasant truth is that a laptop with a 120GB system disk is not suitable for serious Photoshop work. This is a professional application optimized for speed and efficiency, not limited machine resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you; after Christmas, I'm going out to buy another hard drive and install it in my machine -- I have some extra slots for extra hard drives. Do I just tell PhotoShop that to use that new hard drive as my scratch disk? I'm concerned that this will not work since my C drive is the designated System Disk and my computer will care less that I have a new empty hard drive. My logic is: I have other external hard-drives that I have tried to tell PhotoShop to use one of these external hard-drives for my scratch disk; PhotoShop could care less!  PhotoShop just will not listen to my command; i.e., it keeps shifting back to my System Disk "C."  I may have given false information in a previous problem; i.e., my computer is a stand-alone computer, not a laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, a desktop computer always makes things much easier 🙂  If there is a problem or limitation, you can usually add or replace components. With a laptop you're stuck with what you have.

External drives will not always work as scratch - but even if it does, you have to go into windows and assign a high drive letter to it. Otherwise it just gets the lowest available each time you boot up, and that may change from day to day. Then Photoshop won't recognize it.

But another internal drive should be recognized without any problems. It's hard-wired into the machine's I/O system and the drive letter doesn't change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines