Exit

Click Out of Photoshop, Come Back and Tools Don't Work

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's hard to describe my problems, but I'll try:

I just got a 2018 Mac mini running Mojave 10.14.1, 8GBRAM with Wacom Intous Tablet. Photoshop will work great, but whenever I click out of it to go into a different app and return, most of the tools don't work. Photoshop itself doesn't freeze, but the brushes I was just using or the eraser or freehand lasso don't work anymore. It doesn't matter if I click out of Photoshop for a second or for a long time, the tools stop working. Or they are inconsistent. The freehand lasso won't work, but the straight line lasso will.

The only thing that fixes the problem is to save the file and quit Photoshop. Most of the time when I restart Photoshop and reopen the file I was working on, the tools will start working again unless I do something crazy like click on Safari to check something. There has been a few times that even quitting and restarting Photoshop hasn't made the tools work, and I've had to restart the computer itself.

I've tried everything -- resetting tool preferences, making sure I'm not in quick mask or channels, making sure I don't have a small selection somewhere on the canvas.

Something similar happens when I'm working with InDesign, though usually the workspace menus disappear and I have to restart the program and reset the workspace. Holding the space bar to get the hand icon stops working in both programs, as well as using the command/space keys shortcut for zooming in and out.

I have downloaded every version of Photoshop in the CC menu and uninstalled each one as the problems happen. Each time I click No, do not save program preferences.

I honestly can't tell if this is an Adobe problem or a Mac system problem, but I thought I'd ask here. I've googled every variation of how to request help, and hope someone here can help me figure it out! Thanks!

[Discussion moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Photoshop]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

Mojave 10.14.3 is the latest Mojave, and make sure you have updated to PS 10.0.2. Mojave introduced many bugs into Photoshop.

[EDIT: Photoshop is currently 20.0.2; thank you Ged!]

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

and make sure you have updated to PS 10.0.2.

Shouldn't that be 20.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ged!

I broke the rule of “Don’t answer before coffee!”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane-e

Thanks for your advice! As I was trying to solve this myself, I did load all the newest versions of Photoshop and InDesign (unless there's been an update since Thursday!) and while the apps themselves worked better than the older versions, I still had the same problem of the tools not working when I leave Photoshop for even a few seconds.

I'll download the 20.0.2 version again just to make sure, but maybe this is more of a problem with my Mac than with Adobe?

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still on High Sierra because of all of the bugs that Mojave introduced. The 10.14.3 is still beta, and the beta 4 was just released. We are hoping that Apple fixes what they broke.

You might also check your scratch disk space. Read this to see if it helps. 8GB RAM is the minimum recommended, but I always max out whatever my computer will take, especially for Photoshop.

Optimize performance Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I actually have another 16GB of RAM I can put into the machine -- I've just been so happy with how fast the new Mac has been running compared to my old dinosaur! I'll plug in the RAM and see if that helps. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if the tools are not working because of memory issues as I jump from app to app.

The computer came pre-loaded with Mojave so I don't have any old system disks I can use to reinstall down to High Sierra. Any tips on how to do that? Thank you again for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since your computer came with Mojave, then you just bought it, and it comes with AppleCare included for a year (I always buy the extra). Call Apple and ask them! With any luck, though, this will be straightened out soon. CC 2019 came out in October during the MAX conference and both Apple and Adobe are working on fixes. We are all hopeful.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'll see if that helps.

At least the problem isn't as disastrous as some -- nothing is crashing in ways that I lose work. Just a reasonably-sized nuisance that has dampened the excitement of finally having a peppy new computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

williamm7862359  wrote

Just a reasonably-sized nuisance that has dampened the excitement of finally having a peppy new computer!

Congratulations on that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem for a while, even before I installed Mojave. It seems to me that Photoshop has become increasingly unstable over the last few years (since moving to the subscription model). If they don't clean up their game they will eventually lose their customer base as more user friendly and more powerful apps come onto the scene. Once upon a time you could count on Photoshops reliability, not any more - each new iteration seems to add yet more bugs. Adobe, how about cleaning up what you have and making it run properly instead of introducing dodgy new features that a lot of us can do without.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Photoshop 21.0.3 on a MacPro Mid 2012 with 32GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.6, Wacom Intuos.

I've been having similar issues for a long time.

I usually Command+Drag to move elements. Sometimes it won't work and I have to click out of the app and go back, sometimes I have to quit Safari (Which I have to have open for my work) to make Command+Drag work.

Today it's the transform tool. Command+T on a layer and the transform nodes are there, but you can't click on them and move them. I eventually quit and restarted the app. Nearly every day I run into something like this. Some days it's plaettes that deside to disappear and going to the Window menu to activate the palette doesn't work. Reseting the workspace doesn't work. Again, it's a restart of the application that's necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i have the same problem I'm running Photoshop 21.2.4 on a iMacPro .
does anyone have any idea how to fix this annoying error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines