Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipboard still not working? Darn you.

Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/archives/2007/09/05/how-to-fix-the-photosho  p-clipboard/

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2119117

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2848880

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1674006

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2463586

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2119117

I read all thoose topics and googled my ass off. Why did this f*ck worked in Photoshop CS1, but not in CS5 anymore?

I can't Print Screen and C/P anymore and it just gets me frustrated. I tried these damn registry-fixes, but Photoshop

will just ignore them.

Isn't there any 3rd-party-application that solves the problem in any way? I closed all other apps, stopped most of the services, but C/P is still not working.

Damn you Adobe, fix this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MySola wrote:

Isn't there any 3rd-party-application that solves the problem in any way?

SnagIt

http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp?gclid=CJbMnPDE66ICFSCY2AodpiavbA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the solution. That's like: "Hmm my car is not working" You: "Take the chopper".

I can't copy/paste anything. It's not just print screen. I can't copy graphics from my browser or any other application either.

But thanks for trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's not working?  Can you be very specific?

I can copy a large image from another document and paste it into Photoshop CS5 just fine.  I even defined a key to run an action to create a new document and paste the clipboard in because I copy images that way quite often.  So there's no systemic problem there.

Inability to pass things through the clipboard successfully in Windows often involves problems with other software that accesses the clipboard.

Oh, and lastly:  There's no need to use profanity.  You may think that being frustrated entitles you to do so, but trust me, you haven't experienced frustration compared to some.  All cursing really does is entitle you to being banned.  Calm down and let's try to work through this problem, shall we?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We shall. You may read the other threads i linked in my start post. This error is pure randomness.

1. Open this link:

http://www.adobe.com/images/shared/download_buttons/get_adobe_reader.png

Rightclick => Copy image

2. Try to paste it into Photoshop. STRG-V or Edit => Paste

This last step is not working for me. Paste is greyed out.

Copy/Paste is working within the Photoshop-application itself perfectly.

I can copy/paste layers as i wish. But copy/pasting something from an external application

is not possible anymore.

I disabled all start-up items (except the Adobe ones) and disabled non-important services.

Same issue.

But if you look into the linked threads, this isn't a CS5-only problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I have done it.

Pasted.jpg

However, your instructions are not right as written:

1.  Using Internet Explorer, I clicked on your link, saw the image pop up, right-clicked on it, and chose "Copy".  You wrote "Copy image".  I assume you added the word "image", as that word does not appear in the menu.

2.  You cannot simply paste an image into Photoshop if there is no document open.  You have to create a document first:

• Choose File - New.
  • If the Preset is set to Clipboard, the Width and Height will be set to the width and height of the image in your clipboard.
  • Choose OK.
  • NOW you can Edit - Paste.

The short answer is you CANNOT paste something into Photoshop when you have no document open.  You never could.

Are you using a browser other than Internet Explorer?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i missed to mention some steps, but you already did that. Besides i use non-english OS and Firefox. As mentioned before this problem is strange because you can't simply reproduce it. Copy/Paste either works with your Photoshop or it is not. I even re-installed the application, twice deleted my preferences, but nothing helps at all.

There are some cases where copy/paste works for exactly one time. I could copy/paste this image for example:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/34094/283-225/Pasted.jpg

but after i have done this, i can't paste this one:

http://www.adobe.com/images/shared/download_buttons/get_adobe_reader.png

Neither as a new document nor pasted in the previous file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct in your observations.

This erratic behaviour has been reported for some years over several versions.

Adobe are aware of it. I guess it's hard to find a fix when you can't reliably reproduce the fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you paste consistently into anoter application when Photoshop will not accept the paste of the clipboard?  I ask because I have debugged clipboard problems in the past with Windows, and I can say that in many cases other applications can grab hold of the clipboard behind the scenes and not allow it to be used.  Suspects at the time included RDP (remote desktop) and VMware virtual machines.  It can look for all the world like a problem with the foreground application but it turns out to be a "stuck" application that has subscribed to clipboard change notifications.  It sounds as though you have cleared out most everything that might be doing this, but I felt I should mention it.

Can you copy and paste from Internet Explorer consistently?  I ask this because I read some time back a post by Chris Cox (Adobe engineer) where he said that at least one of the browsers was using address randomization, resulting in the inability of Photoshop to interpret the clipboard contents.  I don't know whether that could be a factor here.

Finally, with older versions of Photoshop there were clipboard size limitations, which could be worked-around with a tweak.  Now Photoshop CS5 doesn't seem to require that tweak...  As a test I just copied and pasted a 10,700 x 7,100 pixel image into Photoshop.

It might help to list your operating system, and all version info (e.g., do you have the Photoshop 12.0.1 update?)

For images you're trying to lift out of web pages, have you tried just dragging the image to Photoshop?  That will cause it to open a whole different way.

I hope you can get to the bottom of your problem or find a good workaround.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets start.

-Adobe Photoshop CS5 (12.0.1) 64-Bit

No, i can't copy images from Internet Explorer or Firefox consistently. When i restart my system and open up Photoshop for the first time, the Copy/Paste works as it should. If i'm trying to paste another image, Photoshop simply won't use it. It has still stored the last image in its on clipboard.

Dragging images directly into the application seems to work for most cases, at least some workaround.

There is one strange thing i figured out. Photoshop CS5 32-Bit seems to work the way it should. I just tried out C/P between IE/Firefox to Photoshop CS5 32-Bit, then back to Irfanview, from Irfanview to Word, from Word to Photoshop again. No problem. That's odd.

C/P from Photoshop CS5 64-Bit to another application works well, but not the other way round.

PS: I just called it 'Print Screen', cause it was called so in the other threads linked in my start post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have Windows 7 x64 (though it is Ultimate) and I tested the above with Photoshop 64 bit.

Interestingly, I just fired up a fresh copy of Photoshop x64 to try it again, and it worked okay, but...  When I closed Photoshop it emitted this:

PSCrash1.jpg

CS5CrashAfterPaste.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i'm trying to paste another image, Photoshop simply won't use it. It has still stored the last image in its on clipboard.

Yep, that's the Windows bug.  Photoshop is listening for the OS to tell it about new clipboard data, and the OS stops telling Photoshop that there is something new on the clipboard.  We've tried dozens of workarounds, and improved it, but never found a way to completely avoid the problem.

We've seen this in 32 bit, 64 bit, other apps, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what the registry fix was for. AlwaysImportClipboard. But i even this is not working, there is a serious issue between Photoshop and Windows. Adobe could have figured this out together with Microsoft, but they didn't. Im disappointed in some way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Windows are you using?

That sounds a bit like an old Windows bug where the OS would stop informing Photoshop of changes to the clipboard after a while (we never determined the cause, but saw the same thing happen in other apps, and reported the problem to Microsoft).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MySola wrote:

I can't Print Screen and C/P anymore and it just gets me frustrated. I tried these damn registry-fixes, but Photoshop

will just ignore them.

Are you using a Mac you wrote Print Screen and C/P on a PC I use PrtSc and Alt+PrtSc all the time and it works in CS5.  The only problem I have is my default Photoshop color space is ProPhotoRGB and I sometime forget to change the new document for Clipboard to sRGB to match the windows desktop and the colors are off when I do the Ctrl+V paste.  The other thing that is a bit strange for most is I run with dual screen.  The display on the left is 1360x768 85DPI and is the secondary display and the right Display is 1600x1200 133 DPI   side by side my display area is 28"x9" windows tiles images across display starting with the primary display.  So I need to construct my wallpaper image with two resolutions withe the right center on the left. Print screen captures the screen as the are set up.  So print screen matches with what I see it does not watch the wall paper.  Here is CS5 PrtSc abd Alt+PrtSCPrtSc.jpgAltPrtSc.jpg

Actual wallpaper

IMG_3823.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack wrote:

The only problem I have is my default Photoshop color space is ProPhotoRGB and I sometime forget to change the new document for Clipboard to sRGB to match the windows desktop and the colors are off when I do the Ctrl+V paste. 

JJMack, may I suggest you consider making the following change to your Photoshop Color Settings...:

ColorSettings.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

JJMack, may I suggest you consider making the following change to your Photoshop Color Settings...:

ColorSettings.jpg

-Noel

My Photoshop color setting are like that and does not help wish it did.   If I forget to change the color profile in the new document dialog which is done before the paste. When I do the paste even though there is a mismatch and I have all three check boxes checked in my Photoshop Color Settings I do not get any message from Photoshop. You would think I should but I don't I just see my desktop or active window with bad colors. I'm also a little colorblind but even with my less then perfect color vision I can see some is just not right.  It through me the first time this happened.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack, I'm not sure why it's not prompting you...  If it does happen that you paste an unprofiled sRGB-like capture into a ProPhoto RGB document, can you not just do an Edit - Assign Color Profile (to sRGB or your monitor profile) to get it looking right?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

JJMack, I'm not sure why it's not prompting you...  If it does happen that you paste an unprofiled sRGB-like capture into a ProPhoto RGB document, can you not just do an Edit - Assign Color Profile (to sRGB or your monitor profile) to get it looking right?

-Noel

Noel if I'm in Photoshop and do a copy paste between documents and the have miss matched color profiles I do get the miss matched popup window and can choose what to do. Most likely because Edit copy Ctrl+C is under Photoshop's control so Photoshop stuff the clipboard and includes a profile. Where PrtSc and Alt+pPrtSc are Windows shortcuts and windows may not put a profile into the clipboard. The Photoshop Color Setting have a prompt option for a missing profile on Open I did not see anything about a missing profile on paste.  All I see is a option for miss matched profiles on paste.   And Yes when I forget all I have to do is use menu Edit>Assign Profile  then confirm that is what I want to do then assign sRGB.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I won't be here for somedays, but please don't stop posting in this topic, if you have anything helpful to say. Thanks to all prior posters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still haven't found any good solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we would appreciate if you mind your language. I'm sure there is a way to fix your problem if you look hard enough.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would mind my language if anyone would help me. I looked hard enough for a solution, but only Adobe can fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem.  Definitely not a problem with Windows.  My problem started happening instantly after I installed CS5.  Please fix this issue.  Copy and Paste is kind of important for graphic designers.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines