Highlighted

Clipping Masks, Masks, Pattern Layers - Help me figure out this puzzle!

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ya'll,

I'll try keep it simple but the back story if I'm trying to create an authentically retro-style comic where it uses CMYK and Halftones to make up colors - like this: https://vimeo.com/279599069

The problem with these dots and getting the halftone style, there are a million ways to skin a cat. I've tried packages where you can manually draw the dots in, but when it comes to shifting something in the scene - its a massive pain! 

I've tried this method where I draw in block colors and then CTRL select the color layer, then mask it out of the PATTERN layers - as shown below. 

adinmilo_0-1602476260175.png

The only issue is, again, when it comes to shifting things around the scene, it will set me back a LONG time to clean it all up. 

I have been sitting there trying to get ALL PATTERN layers above the block colors I've done and have them CLIPPING MASK into that group - but the issue has come up where I don't want the block colors to affect the PATTERN blending method (as they have to be on Multiply to get that proper CMYK color blending). Is there a way I can have these 12 Pattern layers in the file and have them individually only effect the blocks of color I've drawn in? 

In simpler term - I don't want my colors to be a PATTERN layer with a MASK showing the sections, as moving masks around to edit post color is a nightmare. I was wondering if there was a move genius way to just have the PATTERN layers effect certain layers, basically. 

Here is a little snippet of the tutorial on the DEBASER  kit I'm using

adinmilo_1-1602476586036.png

The principle of the old school comics is as shown in the images below. A build-up of dots and colors. 

30 Second Demonstration of our Debaser Low-Fi Comic Coloring Kit for Photoshop
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Clipping Masks, Masks, Pattern Layers - Help me figure out this puzzle!

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ya'll,

I'll try keep it simple but the back story if I'm trying to create an authentically retro-style comic where it uses CMYK and Halftones to make up colors - like this: https://vimeo.com/279599069

The problem with these dots and getting the halftone style, there are a million ways to skin a cat. I've tried packages where you can manually draw the dots in, but when it comes to shifting something in the scene - its a massive pain! 

I've tried this method where I draw in block colors and then CTRL select the color layer, then mask it out of the PATTERN layers - as shown below. 

adinmilo_0-1602476260175.png

The only issue is, again, when it comes to shifting things around the scene, it will set me back a LONG time to clean it all up. 

I have been sitting there trying to get ALL PATTERN layers above the block colors I've done and have them CLIPPING MASK into that group - but the issue has come up where I don't want the block colors to affect the PATTERN blending method (as they have to be on Multiply to get that proper CMYK color blending). Is there a way I can have these 12 Pattern layers in the file and have them individually only effect the blocks of color I've drawn in? 

In simpler term - I don't want my colors to be a PATTERN layer with a MASK showing the sections, as moving masks around to edit post color is a nightmare. I was wondering if there was a move genius way to just have the PATTERN layers effect certain layers, basically. 

Here is a little snippet of the tutorial on the DEBASER  kit I'm using

adinmilo_1-1602476586036.png

The principle of the old school comics is as shown in the images below. A build-up of dots and colors. 

30 Second Demonstration of our Debaser Low-Fi Comic Coloring Kit for Photoshop
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried converting each layer to a smart object (right-click on the layer and select Convert to Smart Object)? You can still double-click on the thumbnail in the Layers panel to open the smart object if you want to edit it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blend Mode > Hard Mix 

Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 16.48.47.png

Nice artwork, by the way. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I omitted to mention that the Layer set to Hard Mix should contain blurred dot rasters of an appropriate rotation in each channel. 

Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 10.24.31.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fepending on your output needs doing a halftone screen in Photoshop may not provide for the best result in printing. 

The edges of the dots might be affected by the actual screen when printed in offset or gravure etc. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0