Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping Path in PNG File?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

When I save a Jpeg with a clipping path as a PNG file in Photoshop, why doesn't the clipping path save as well?
(when I open the PNG file the clipping path has disappeared)

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

What is happening is exactly what’s expected. Each file format like PNG and JPEG handles its own specific list of features, no more and no less, regardless of what software you use to make them.

What clients want is a subject with the background cut out. There is more than one way to hide the background. You can apply a mask, which turns into a transparent alpha channel when you save. Or you can apply a clipping path.

The JPEG file format can store a clipping path, but cannot store a transpa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all file formats support everything that’s possible in Photoshop. 

Why do you need a Clipping Path in a png?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting to hear that.
A client has asked for images to be cut out and supplied as PNG files.
It would be helpful to explain to her why there is no clipping path along with the image.
cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

png supports Transparency (preferably png-24, I guess), so what do they need the Path for once the Layer is clipped? 

In any case you should keep the original layered file in a less limited format like psd or tif. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to what c.pfaff said, I'm curious as to why she needs the clipping path as well. Future modification would be my guess, but you never know.  xD

If she's OK with it, just give her the PSD or TIFF (with layers) if she still wants it. If supplied with a PNG, she could also use Photoshop's shortcuts to select a layer's content up to the pixel edges for a particular layer. (Like Ctrl/Cmd + clicking on a layer's thumbnail. She can then store that selection as an alpha channel via the Channels panel to bring back up on command later.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice folks.

Still doesn't answer the question 'why there is no clipping path along with the image' on a PNG file?

There is a path on the original jpeg but it seems really odd that it disappears when saved as a PNG.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEGs can have clipping paths if saved in the proper manner. (e.g., Using Photoshop's "Save As" but *not* "Save for Web".) PNGs simply don't have that luxury.

Technically, if you save an image as a PNG with transparency, it already has a "clipping path" anyway that you can easily create and select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JPEGs can have clipping paths if saved in the proper manner. (e.g., Using Photoshop's "Save As" but *not* "Save for Web".) PNGs simply don't have that luxury.

By @War Unicorn

I only discovered that in the last year or so, and was both surprised and pleased.  It meant it was easy to supply image files to this forum complete with clipping paths which has been super useful at times.  My experience with PBG files that have transparency is that you can't copy them from the web using the usual right click method.  Least ways you can, but you lose the transparency.  I find I have to right click and save for transparency to work.  ISTR Dag (I think) questioning that, so my workflow might have been flawed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is happening is exactly what’s expected. Each file format like PNG and JPEG handles its own specific list of features, no more and no less, regardless of what software you use to make them.

What clients want is a subject with the background cut out. There is more than one way to hide the background. You can apply a mask, which turns into a transparent alpha channel when you save. Or you can apply a clipping path.

The JPEG file format can store a clipping path, but cannot store a transparency mask (an alpha channel).

The PNG file format is the opposite: It can store a transparency mask as an alpha channel, but it doesn’t provide any way to store a clipping path.

This is not a problem in Photoshop, because whichever way you cut out the background, you can convert it to an alpha channel or a clipping path depending on the file format the client asked for.

For example, if I’m cutting out a background for your client and I used the Pen tool to create a clipping path, and the client is asking for PNG, then I know that when I’m done drawing the cut-out path, I must choose Layer > Vector Mask > Current Path to convert the path into a transparency mask, that PNG is able to store. Then, when exporting, I must make sure the Export settings are saving a PNG with transparency.

Again, this is because of the capabilities of file formats, not anything to do with Photoshop, so all of this would still be true even if you were using a different photo editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conrad!

Exactly what I was looking for.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this clearly.

This is a great help to me and also when getting back to my client, who is probably being advised by her inexperienced designer.

have a good Xmas everybody,

Iain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot save a PNG with an active clipping path,I would suggest to save clipping path in jpg , psd or tiff format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines