• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone stamp, healing brush, etc. will not work on copied layer?

Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made an adjustment to another layer copy already.  Then I made another copy and tried to clone something out.  It won't do anything.  Please help, I know it's something ridiculously simple but I haven't found an answer on youtube...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what software please? i.e, Photoshop, illustrator etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked to make sure that the option for cloning on all layers is selected? If it is on current layer only, nothing will happen.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 7.44.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is on "All Layers." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot of your layer panel. Also are you using the alt key to target the are that you want to clone, releasing it and then trying to clone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this so far:

Made a copy of the image/layer mask to smooth the backdrop via "Noise/Median."

Am trying to do frequency separation which requires (2) copies of the image - 1 for Gaussian blur, 1 for "Apply Image/Subtract"

I don't know if that translates but I just cannot figure out why I can't get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I understand what you are trying to do, but again I need to see you layers panel to see what is going on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. What layer are you trying to clone on? If you are trying to clone on either backdrop or backdrop copy, you aren't going to see it, because you have masked the couple out - they are black in the mask. Black conceals, white reveals in a mask. Is that where you are having a problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, at first, then I cloned on the original and it worked... Now, I've tried making copies of the original to do frequency separation and it's not working the way it's supposed to.  The layer for Gaussian blur is blurring the image and not giving me the option to do what I need to... Here's a screen shot:Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm not sure what layers you are talking about, since they are not named according to what you are doing. But right now, you are on a layer that isn't visible (the eyeball is turned off) and you can't do anything on an invisible layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truthfully  would start over because you shouldn't have a cut out from your backdrop and I am not sure where you are cloning. For frequency separation, you should be using the gausian blur on the gausian layer and then a very soft clone on the subtract layer. You can add a layer above the subtract layer and clone there to see whether the clone is working or not. It may be that the clone is working, but is subtle and you don't see it. If you are cloning on that same layer, if you aren't getting the clone tool to work there, then there are some general trouble shooting techniques. Make sure that you do not have a selection any where. Make sure that there isn't a blending mode set on the tool that may be affecting the tool. Open a new document and test to see if the tool works there. If it doesn't work at all, reset your Photoshop Preferences.

Preferences in Photoshop

Hope one of these help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, let me say I am aware this is from years ago lol, however, I was having the same issue. To fix, I had to merge the layers together and was able to use the healing tool again. Shot healing was working on the original but the layers still had the spot I was trying to clone so it was still showing. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines