Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone stamp lag

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a big issue with the clone stamp tool.
It is so laggy and slow.

At the moment I am running Photoshop CC 2019 Version 20.0.4. Windows computer, 32Gb Ram, I7 processor.

This was no problem with Photoshop CC 2018 and I also have an old computer with Photoshop CS 6, so I know how it should work.

This happened to me after updating to CC 2019 😞

Can you help maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Miki

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

"Clone Source tab and unchecking "Show Overlay" "that's the whole beauty of new clone stamp...

anyone has any other ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come nobody replied to this. I have the exact same problem to the point of the clone stamp being useless. The problem hasn't been helped by upgrading to CC2020. Other tools also lag, but the clone is by far the worst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Reset Preference on quit' fixes it. Somewhat a temporary fix but it fixes it 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the lagging of clone stamp and healing brush by going into the Clone Source tab and unchecking "Show Overlay". This problem was not present in CC2018, but something in CC2019 changed, and anything requiring a sampled source became laggy and frustrating - unusable. This seems to fix it completely, both tools are back to their old snappy self. Heads up, Adobe engineers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Clone Source tab and unchecking "Show Overlay" "that's the whole beauty of new clone stamp...

anyone has any other ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Windows>Clone Source> uncheck "Show Overlay"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this works. It's not sluggish anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me - the overlay feature made the clone stamp tool completely unusable, but now it's functioning as fast as previously.

Many thanks for the suggestion !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the same issue when enabling "Shoe Overlay" in PS 2021. Anyone have find any workaround besides turning it off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2021 and the problem is still there. 3000€ computer that can't handle showing an overlay instantly like when the show overlay feature first came out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.

In old PS versions ALT-click to sample clone source worked consistent and absolutely 100% of the time.

In newer versions (tested up till 22.1):

• If [x] Show Overlay is enabled, it's laggy and highly inconsistent. Even on a very fast machine. Impossible to use for professional retouching.
  • If [ ] Show Overlay is disabled, it's better, but still not 100% consistent and not as snappy as it used to be (and should be IMO). For most users the slight lag probably won't be noticable. But if you do fast retouching with sampling via ALT + click a lot, it's frustrating, that you never can be 100% sure the source-sample really registered or not.

Wished Adobe would optimize/fix this, but highly unlikely, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dealing with the same issues on a fast machine. 

Another user told me about this tool that disables the ALT menu. It does work and speeds things up a little, but still run into the clone, healing, and mixing brush lag. 

[link removed by moderator on 19 Jan 2021]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24 of 73 engines of virustotal.com report a trojan in the linked installation file; just saying, probably false-positive, but not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. From everything I read it appears to be a false positive because it controls the keystroke of blocking the "ALT" key menu. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a gaming mouse Logitech G series with a custom driver, try to set the polling rate to 125 Z in the device driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confrim that the latest version of photoshop CC 2023 has the exact same buggy issue. Thanks Adobe. You force us to pay monthly now for a borken program that doesn't even work and there is no evidence of addressing this problem. Three years now. I am going to DaVinci, where they don't hold you work hostage so they can bleed as much money from you for broken buggy software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here because I too recently sensed lag on CC 2023 and Win 11. Especially the Clone Tool.
Something has happened, and I'm turning back more and more to basic tools since everything smart has become kind of "dodgy". Loads of Undo's happening.

I'm really starting to think it has something to do with the driver's memory management (maybe even VRAM?). In the beginning I thought it might be the relatively new AI doing some "snaps" but this is too far of a fetch.
PS: Turning off "Show Overlay" helped some. Simple way to test - clonebrush an area in a quick diagonal line (test with holding down CTRL too make perfect straights). If there are little jumps happening, it's lagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: Sorry, hold down SHIFT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a tablet such as Wacom?

I think the wacom drivers are causing this lag. I used to use an older wacom dirver that had solved this problem for me back in the day but now that I had upgraded my system and I also updated my wacom driver thinking that they would have have fixed this issue but no! clone stamp, even liquify is lagging. I will try and find a wacom driver that fixes this and see if that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the latest wacom driver 6.4.4-2 installed. I instead installed one previous version 6.4.3-2 and that seems to have fixed the isssue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But in the end I went all the way down to driver 6.4.1-1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines