Highlighted

Clone Stamp Tool Aligned Box

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My biggest problem with Photoshop is my love hate relationship with the Clone Stamp Tool.

I will be working with the aligned box unchecked and all of a sudden it is checked. This happens constantly!

How can I make it remain unchecked unless I want to check it?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Clone Stamp Tool Aligned Box

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My biggest problem with Photoshop is my love hate relationship with the Clone Stamp Tool.

I will be working with the aligned box unchecked and all of a sudden it is checked. This happens constantly!

How can I make it remain unchecked unless I want to check it?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 20, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the clone tool and reset from left end of Options bar

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost daily reset all the tools.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 0
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JDGould  wrote

I almost daily reset all the tools.

Wow.  That's not good.  Do you still have the problem?

Are you using a tablet, and if yest, which one?

Which operating system are you using?

What version of Photoshop?

I wonder if it is a tool preset issue?  If the clone tool defaults to a preset that has Aligned turned on, then selecting a different tool and coming back to the clone tool, might make it go back to it's default tool preset.

Select the Clone tool and open the Tool Preset panel and see if you have anything set up for that tool.  If you don't, then the idea is shot down in flames, but you might be able to fudge a fix by making a tool preset.  I just tried making one and closing and reopening Photoshop, and the Clone tool remembered the preset.

If you are still having the problem, then I have a vague thought about tablet drivers lurking in the back of my mind.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 2
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a 13" Mac Book Pro Retina; I have the Adobe subscription so LR and PS are always up to date.

I created a preset with a 100 soft brush. I then change to a 200 and checked the box. Next I hit the present and it went back to 100 unchecked.

The issue is that if I am working with a brush other size and the box auto checks I can't use the preset to uncheck because I don't want a 100 brush.

I would love to get someone from Adobe to join in as this is a problem that needs to be fixed; not a bandaid preset.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for general trouble-shooting so far?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to find a solution on the internet; reset all preferences several times.

Suggestions really appreciated; this is a major PIA as I do a lot of cleanup of all my images.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not noticed anything similar on my set-up.

Does it affect the Healing Brush Tool, too, or only the Clone Stamp Tool?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the CST!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 0
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this suggestion by ACP Jeff Arola:  Help with clone stamp tool non-aligned option

In photoshop if you inadvertently double click while pressing Alt/Option to set the clone source, align will get checked.

Your mouse settings regarding double-click speed might need to be adjusted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I saw that article. I never when cleaning an image have a reason to press both options. I do press Alt when working with sizing.

A definite conundrum!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In photoshop if you inadvertently double click while pressing Alt/Option to set the clone source, align will get checked.

Nice one, didn’t know that.

Unfortunately it does not seem to go the other way, too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have asked about this problem since 1995. If you inadvertantly double-click while holding down the Option key the clone tool is set to "Aligned".  I would like to turn this "feature" off or at least be able to configure another key combination.  Seeing that you are constantly using the option key to select the source, using the option key also to select alignment is bad design.  It also only goes only one way.  You can't double-click holding Option to reset it so you need to stop and go to the option bar to reset.  It woulb be as if automobile engineers said " Just press your brake once to stop.  If to double-tap, you will accelerate.  Does anyone know how to get through to Adobe for this.  It is very aggravating  when you are sampling thousands of times daily.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2019 2
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You asked this question several years ago.  I hope you got an answer from someone who knew what might be going on and not from these "Forum Lizards" who jump in just to get to see their names in print.

I have had this annoying problem for a long time and it is truly irksome.  You know why, of course.  All of a sudden you realized Aligned is active because of what you're getting from the tool, you turn it off, and before very much longer, it's active again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julian
Thanks for your note. It took several attempts to get through to Adobe about this issue. My first try was 1994 at Seybold talking to a rep from Adobe. This most recent go round was last fall as a follow up to two years previous. Between getting shunted off to the “Adobe Family” suggestion board, and several times wasting time on the phone trying to get across that I don’t need help learning how to use the clone tool.

I did get a reply that they received the “feature request”. We’ll see what happens.
If you can request a fix as well that may help. Just do’t have the key to sample be the same as reset alignment.

Best regards,

Jay Penni
www.jaypenni.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0