• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone Stamp Tool CC 2021 darkening selection.

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clone stamp tool is now applying a darker cloned selection when compared to the original source.

Have tried various possible ideas to solve this problem but these were for the previous versions of PS CC. Also, have removed and reinstalled PS to no avail. Using Windows 10 1909 build 18363.1139.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Looks like the same density to me. It looks darker, as it's an optical illusion in that the white around the area is very bright, and our mind compensates for how dark the shadow area really is. Check out the checkerboard example at this link:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/photoshop/message-id/476338

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking: are you aware of blending modes and their impact? Blend mode can be applied on tool (from the Options bar) and layer level.

Can you post screenshot with entire window visible including Layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Bojan.

Have attached image as requested and have shown what is happening. I am cloning from the white area on the right side of the face to give some texture to the left where it is over-exposed. You can see the clone stamp settings I am using although I have tried various alternatives.

I have used Photoshop since CS3 but I only use the bare minimum. 

I know it's considered a 'sin' but I don't use layers as this suits me. I know layers are non-destructive but I never have a problem.  Also, I use the clone stamp tool a lot on my images (mainly wildlife and architectural) for minor work and this is the first real problem I have had. I hope it's just a simple error on my part.

Screenshot (67).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the same density to me. It looks darker, as it's an optical illusion in that the white around the area is very bright, and our mind compensates for how dark the shadow area really is. Check out the checkerboard example at this link:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/photoshop/message-id/476338

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chuck, unfortunately the link does not work - 'Access Denied. This page isn't available. Try checking the URL or visit a different page'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck, I used the eyedropper tool on both sections and as you say, both colours are virtually the same, thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the example I was trying to show. Both the A & B squares have the same luminosity. 

shaow-illusion-same-color-checkerboard-with-cylinder-3.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again Chuck, a lesson learned!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines