Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone Stamp tool not working

Participant ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 9.39.51 AM.png

Suddenly when using the clone stamp it just doesn't work.

Is there something I can change to get it to work?

The screen shot shows where it is now.

Many thanks, Penni

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

hi

Have you tried resetting the Clone Tool

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that trips me up when using the Clone Stamp tool,

Make sure you’ve selected the layer you intend to clone from and not the layer you wish to clone to.

See how below I have Layer 2 selected? As this is a blank layer if I attempt to use the clone tool, it won’t clone anything as there isn’t anything on this layer to clone from but I want the clone edits to be on layer 2 so I will need to selected layer 1 (or what you wish to clone from) then make create the clone (Alt+LMB) then reselect layer 2 and apply.

Seems obvious but it honestly gets me every time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your tip.  II was not selecting the source from the 1st layer and then switching to a new layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually directed towards Dynamic_office

This is it!! You saved me so much aggrevation!

I just got the trial version of Elements 2020 and am waiting for the package in the mail to enter code key and buy.

And I was like wth?? This doesn't work? AND, I upgraded to Catalina OS to aquire 2020 and in the process lost Microsoft word, excell, Adobe pdf, Nikon Capture NX2 and a whole host of other programs to get this one! 

But it's funny, with my old Elements 12 that issue never came up, I could clone while on that blank layer, wth????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It woerked like a charm! Thank for the help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing this out.  This issue has vexed me from time to time, mostly because I didn't understand what to do about it.  What an elegant and simple fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

Have you tried resetting the Clone Tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ged for guiding me through this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best answer saved my day, I had tried everything and failed althought I have been using Photoshop for many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Im having problems with my Clone Stamp tool in PhotoShop CC2017.
I'm working via a PC not a Mac.
When I Alt-Click to use the Clone tool on an image the brushes box pops up and the stamp itself doesn't work.
Anyone else had this problem? Is there a simple solution?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Mac and mine isnt working either in Photoshop 2020.  It is making me crazy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, 

I came here looking for answers and I tried the solutions above but it didn't work. I just found one that works, unlocking the background layer by double-clicking on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok my clone tool is not working Ive tried the suggestion here and it still don't work. It lets me clone but it wont release it in the spot I want it. help please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines