Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

clone stamping within a selection to another Layer

Advisor ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if someone can help me.

Marching ants don't show up in a screenshot but here's what I want to do:  In the image below, Layer "8437" is selected.  I made a selection of the right hand side of the column, excluding the background.  I wanted to clone stamp the right edge of the column onto the right edge of the "COL copy" Layer immediately below it.  I made the selection so I wouldn't take anything else but the column when clone stamping onto the column in the COL copy Layer.

But it isn't working.  Nothing happens (no clone stamping) when I stamp onto the COL copy Layer.  So you can't make a selection of something and then clone stamp from inside the selection?  Any other way to achieve this?  Thanks.

Thanks.

bartonlew_0-1617154761630.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not see numbers and layers clearly. It is possible to limit cloning to only inside selection. Select what you want to clone, activate layer to which you want to clone, ensure that All Layers or Current and Below is selected from Sample drop down list in the Options bar and start painting.

sample drop down for clone tool.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you, but what I am asking for is actually the reverse.  I want to limit the cloning inside the source - that is, I want to make a selection, and clone from within the selection going up to the edge of the selection and not including the area outside the selection.  When I do this, nothing appears on the target layer where I am trying to clone onto.  So I think it may be the case that you can't make a selection and clone using the selection as a source.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps I do not understand what is your request. Hovewer, you can limit painting, cloning... to inside selection if you have one active. If you do not see anything that is because one layer covers another with the same content or you have wrongly set Clone Tool.

By the way, if you want to clone inside selection to another layer and to limit to the same selection then use Ctrl+J after creating selection then move layer where you want as needed. You do not need to waste time cloning if you want to copy content inside selection to another layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines