Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color bleed outside of selection

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I tried to find an answer to this problem I have, but couldnt find it anywhere. I'm a beginner to photoshop. Can anyone help me with this? When I paint a color either inside or outside of a selection, theres always bleeding on the other side when I zoom in. Please see photo below. There's blue outside of my selection. Thank you!Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 7.45.50 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

It looks like you tried to change the feathering via Select > Modify > Feather. You need to set the feather to zero in the options, before y9u make the selection:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

We are happy to help! When you create a selection, do you have a value in the feather field in the Options bar? This would account for a any type of bleed outside of your selection.

With whatever Selection tool you were working with active, check the options bar and make sure that the Feather Option is set to 0.

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 9.36.05 PM.png

If the Feather is already set to 0, then please show us a screenshot of your workspace with the image open so we can take a look.

Thanks!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response! The feather has to be set at at least 0.1 pixels. But it didnt make a difference whether I set it at 2 or 0.1

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 2.09.47 PM.png

This is a sceenshot of the work place. I use the color blue, so it will be more obvious to see.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 2.10.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you tried to change the feathering via Select > Modify > Feather. You need to set the feather to zero in the options, before y9u make the selection:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is generally a "feather" issue as mentioned above,  Keep in mind that the selection/marching ants show without feathering and feathering extend both inside and out of the selected area.

I hope this helps

-joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the others have explained, the selection/marching ants doesn’t show the feather of a selection. To see what the selection actually looks like, hit the Q key. That takes you into Quick Mask mode, showing the selection in an alpha state as a red overlay. This will show you the feather. Hit the Q key again to return to normal selection mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 2.11.07 PM.png

This is a screenshot with the quick mask mode. As far as i can see, the blue is still bleeding over than the intended selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is heavily zoomed in image. I think you are complaining about anti-aliasing not fethering. Anti aliasing is actually good thing which is preventing fuzzy edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anti-Aliasing is great, but for me the bleed was causing pixels with a partial transparency outside the selection which are not supported by the final format I have to use. The partially transparent pixels would be rounded up or down when exporting which caused selections to have a black and white border like TV static. 

Thank you for mentioning Anti-Aliasing though! Turning that off was the fix and I have been trying to figure this out for a long time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines