Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Depth Issue

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I choose 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit as saving options but when I go to the saved file properties, it shows me that is is saved as 24-bit. I do not want sudden color transitions, I want smooth color transitions as I want to use the picture I am working on right now as my wallpaper. I will try to attach a sample picture below to help you understand the issue better.

As you can see below, purple to black color transition is sudden and not smooth, it looks smooth when I open it in PS, but when I save it, I screw it up, I hope you guys can help me save it smoother and much more correctly.

Thank You.

bigbywallpaperPS.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

First of all, save your original as 16 bit PSD or TIFF. "24 bit" is just 8 bit expressed as 8+8+8+8 = 24. The fourth is the alpha channel.

What you're seeing is banding, and banding happens in 8 bit color depth because there are only 256 discrete steps from 0 to 255 per channel.

Your display pipeline is 8 bit regardless of the image itself. So you will always see 8 bit banding on screen. Always. The only way to avoid it is to buy a 10 bit-capable monitor/video card.

To hide it, introduce a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I choose 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit as saving options«

Whar do you mean? 

What are the actual image’s Color Mode and bit depth (Image > Mode > …)?

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, RGB and 16-bit options are ticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked you about the saving process and for screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, save your original as 16 bit PSD or TIFF. "24 bit" is just 8 bit expressed as 8+8+8+8 = 24. The fourth is the alpha channel.

What you're seeing is banding, and banding happens in 8 bit color depth because there are only 256 discrete steps from 0 to 255 per channel.

Your display pipeline is 8 bit regardless of the image itself. So you will always see 8 bit banding on screen. Always. The only way to avoid it is to buy a 10 bit-capable monitor/video card.

To hide it, introduce a tiny bit of noise in the image. Not much, just enough to break up the banding.

The jpeg file format specification only supports 8 bit. If you want to retain 16 bit depth you need to use TIFF or PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saving it as PNG fixed the problem, who would have thought?

Thank you so much for the answer.

Have a wonderful day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines