• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Dodge does not effect solid black layer underneath.

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was drawing, and had just finished everything from the lines to coloring. I go to add some color dodge for the final touches and found that some of the lines kept their solid blackness, even when the near solid blacks around it were effected by the color dodge. I was wondering if this was a bug or a feature, and if it is not a bug, is there a work around to this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It simply looks like you have your black corrections on the layer where you are also trying to apply the color dodge. You need to create another layer on top then.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made sure to keep the art, and the solid black test layer seperate from the color dodge layer. If I've read your comment correctly, this cannot be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the art is now flattened with no separate layers - do you or did you at one time have the black line art on its own layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I flattened all the layers to emphasize the problem. This problem still persisted even when the art was seperated into their own respective layers. By flattening the layers, I could rule out the factor of the layers being an issue and making the problem easier to solve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working as designed according to this page on Layer Blending Modes:

"Color Dodge

Looks at the color information in each channel and brightens the base color to reflect the blend color by decreasing contrast between the two. Blending with black produces no change."

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/blending-modes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any work around to this? perhaps another layer with similar effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is your goal in first place? To lighten solid black lines? What about the rest of drawing? You can cycle through blending modes with live preview for start of your exploration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines