• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Lookup on CMYK images

Engaged ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some CMYK images. Is it possible somehow to load some icc profile (for example FOGRA39/ISO coated v2) with colour lookup tool?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

is it possible to correct color with some of existing icc profiles (ISO, FOGRA 39, etc.)?

The profile would have to be a device link profile, so none of the installed CMYK profiles would work.

If the final destination is an offset press running to the FOGRA39 profile, then all you have to do is assign that profile, which will give you the best CMYK soft proof (assuming your system’s monitor profile is also accurate). From there you can use any adjustment tool or layer to color correct the CM

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the images have an embedded CMYK profile? If so, and you have set Preserve Embedded Profiles in Photoshop color settings then Photoshop should use that embedded profile.

If it has no profile, but you know which profile to use, you can use Edit >Assign Profile to assign the correct profile.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can assign profile on psd file, but it is useful just for preview it is not visible on printed file, i found on some psd file color lookup adjustment layer with loaded iso profile, and that has impact on printed file. I need to load profile on color lookup, but i didnt know how, and which extension profiles needs to have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry

I don't understand your comment that a correctly assigned profile is not visible on the printed file.

Are you printing on a printing press that uses the same profile or on something else?

Perhaps if you can describe exactly how you want to use the files it may help us give you a solution.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the mode of the image is CMYK, the Color Lookup profile you load would have to be either Abstract or Device Link, so a regular .icc profile like FOGRA39 would not load. If the reason for using a Color Lookup adjustment layer is to add a color effect or to color correct, an Abstract profile should work. You can create your own lut by adding one or more various adjustment layers, and then exporting via File>Export>Color Lookup Tables.., which will create a Color Lookup file that can be loaded.

If you are trying to do a device link CMYK-to-CMYK conversion then you would need to find a Device Link profile for the CMYK destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Dave, I left you insufficient information. Like Rob mentioned, my reason for using the CL adjustment layer is to add color correction.

Thanks Rob for replying, you clarified the part that confused me, but i am still far away from final solution.Do you have experience is it possible to correct color with some of existing icc profiles (ISO, FOGRA 39, etc.)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

is it possible to correct color with some of existing icc profiles (ISO, FOGRA 39, etc.)?

The profile would have to be a device link profile, so none of the installed CMYK profiles would work.

If the final destination is an offset press running to the FOGRA39 profile, then all you have to do is assign that profile, which will give you the best CMYK soft proof (assuming your system’s monitor profile is also accurate). From there you can use any adjustment tool or layer to color correct the CMYK color appearance and values.

Or, you can work in an RGB editing space, do all of the color corrections in RGB, and make the conversion to FOGRA39 CMYK in Photoshop or on an export to PDF out of the page layout. That’s the preferred approach. When you edit the RGB document, the proof setup can be to the FOGRA39 profile, and the Info panel would show the CMYK output numbers—there wouldn’t need to be additional color corrections after the conversion to CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines