• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color of the adjustment layer (fill layer) changes when using color circle plug-in

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop 2020 (21.2.4)

The problem is as I wrote in title, if you select a color from the color circle panel after selecting the fill adjustment layer, it even changes the color of the layer.

That behavior didn't happen until 2019.
I think it's a bug in photoshop because I mainly use coolorus for color circles, but other similar circles cause the behavior as well.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as troubleshooting, do you get the same result when using the regular color picker?

What is the document's color space? sRGB, Adobe RGB, something else? Does it have an embedded color profile?

I don't know coolorus, but it wouldn't be the first time a color picker doesn't support standard color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>do you get the same result when using the regular color picker?
There's nothing wrong with the standard color picker, issue is only plugin panel.

>What is the document's color space?
Any color space. Same as no color management mode.

Coolorus is famous for digital painters.

I don't really know if this is a specification or not, but if adobe don't support it, that's a shame.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"if adobe don't support it"

All the evidence so far suggests that coolorus doesn't support color management. That is not Adobe's responsibility. Photoshop works as it should. This is a shortcoming in the plugin. They need to make their plugin color managed. All plugins need their own color management support, that's just how this works.

"Any color space. Same as no color management mode."

If you follow that policy, you shouldn't be surprised if your colors are all over the map (quite aside from any plugin deficiencies). If you're going to work in Photoshop you need to start paying attention to color profiles. Photoshop's whole architecture revolves around that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the flow of the response, I take it that you are talking about CMS/Color Management System.

Sorry, but I wasn't referring to it (I know it doesn't work on plug-in, and that's not the point).

I'm referring to the behavior of changing the color of the fill layer.

Normally (as in the def.png image attached), double click thumbnail of fill layer, color picker dialog appears, pick a color, finally there will change the color.

def.png

In 2020, if select fill layer, when pick a color from the color circle in the plugin, color changes without that dialog.

plugin.png

This was not the case before 2019, so I don't know if it's a bug or a spec change.

If the specs have changed, the behavior of the plugin would have to be changed, so I've already checked with the plugin developers.

(Also, I'm using the Japanese version, so I'm sorry, UI is not in English.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"that's not the point"

That is precisely the point, and you're missing it.

The color space defines the color. Any given set of numbers will yield different colors in different color spaces. You must have an embedded profile to have a defined color.

Read the numbers and compare:

colorspace.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not talking about "slightly different colors" or "color of circles and color of canvases are different" as in the image you attached.

Color of the adjustment layer(New Fill Layer, Solid) changes interactively when I only select a foreground color from the color circle panel in ver.2020

I've attached a video.
Left circle is 2020 default and the other is plug-in circle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make it simple. Just post a screenshot that shows the actual color difference. That way it's possible to tell whether it's a color space difference or not. That video tells me absolutely nothing (and I don't want to look at jumpy videos with jumpy cursors).

Include the color profile in your screenshot. It's found here:

notification_2B.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document in the video is sRGB 8bc.
But regardless of the color space of the document (whether it's srgb, adobeRGB, or with no profile specified, it's the same), I'm saying that the behavior I perceive to be the problem was the same.

I'm not talking about putting up a screen of color differences, but I'm not talking about the color difference being this different, like the color space difference.
I'm not talking about how different the colors are, so I can't show you how much of a difference there is, even if I wanted to.

As I've said many times before, the behavior of the Adjustment Layer's Solid Color Layer is a strange one.

First of all, the color selected from the color circle is reflected in the layer, which is the correct behavior.
The problem is that it's happening at an unintended time.

You can see the Solid Color Layer and the behavior associated with it.

1. In the Layers panel, go to the Adjustment Layer menu and select Solid Color.
  2. If you double-click on the thumbnail of that layer, you should get a dialog (the square color picker) to determine the color. And usually, the color is selected here to determine the color.
  3. After you close the dialog and decide on a color, whatever color you choose from the color circle should not affect the color of the Solid Color Layer.

After No.3, here's the problem. Even after the color is determined, the color of the Adjustment Layer is updated on its own, even though I didn't do anything to change the color of the Solid Color.
When you select a color in the Color Circle, the color of solid color layer is automatically updated to the color you selected at that time, without dialog.

This difference seems obvious from the video, and I think I've shown it.
If this behavior isn't recognized, there's no better way to explain it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, got it. I've never heard of anything like this before.

Do the plugin makers have a support forum? Have you asked there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. Here's another one where color changes apparently on its own. Possibly related?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/gradient-color-changes-automatically-when-clicking-on-gradi... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've also contacted the developers on the plugin side and am waiting for a response.

I read the page you linked to.
I tried it by myself, and I couldn't reproduce the situation that occurs in "very left only" and the color changes on its own, so I guess it's not similar.

Here's an additional note about ver.2020.
The gradient adjustment color gradient editor seems to be able to interactively change colors from the new default color wheel after clicking on a color point.

You can do the same thing for color of a solid color layer by simply selecting the layer (and pick from the plugin's color circle).
For example, if I try to edit the mask and change the foreground color to gray, the color of the solid color layer will be changed into gray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what i had in mind though. Restart too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It occurs from reinstalling and creating a new document (srgb, 8bpc, 300dpi) with photoshop default settings.
Restarts have not changed, and it's happening on other computers as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines