Highlighted

Color picker stays in gray scale

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a weird problem and Googling it isn't helping. My color picker is suddenly only picking up colors in gray scale.

The three common solutions I've encountered do not apply to me. My document is in RGB mode, I'm not targeting a mask, and I'm not in quick mask mode. Any other ideas what could be causing this?

I'm using Photoshop CC on Windows 10.

EDIT: I just realized the problem is more specific. The color picker just isn't picking up any colors at all. No matter what I select, it always gives the exact same color and shade: #535353. (Or, R 83 G 83 B 83) This is even weirder.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peru Bob | Adobe Community Professional

Try resetting the tools and/or preferences.
To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.
Note: Using the keyboard shortcut, preference files for custom shortcuts, workspaces, and color settings will also be reset to default.

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#restore_preferences

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Color picker stays in gray scale

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a weird problem and Googling it isn't helping. My color picker is suddenly only picking up colors in gray scale.

The three common solutions I've encountered do not apply to me. My document is in RGB mode, I'm not targeting a mask, and I'm not in quick mask mode. Any other ideas what could be causing this?

I'm using Photoshop CC on Windows 10.

EDIT: I just realized the problem is more specific. The color picker just isn't picking up any colors at all. No matter what I select, it always gives the exact same color and shade: #535353. (Or, R 83 G 83 B 83) This is even weirder.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peru Bob | Adobe Community Professional

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.
Note: Using the keyboard shortcut, preference files for custom shortcuts, workspaces, and color settings will also be reset to default.

from here:

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from here:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. This shortcut isn't doing anything for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, update: I found another way to reset. That did it. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines