Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color profiles broken in PS 2020

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I try to contact proof/assign a color profile or print using my icc color profiles I have used prior to updating PS, the colors are way off. I have used these profiles successfully in the past and now none of them seem to be working correctly. I even created a new icc profile and still have the same problem. Any ideas?

I'm on a Mac with the Catalina OS. I'm using PS version 21.0.2.

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does not sound good, as the colors appears to be off, could you try changing the screen color profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Let us know if it helps.
Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does not sound good, as the colors appears to be off, could you try changing the screen color profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Let us know if it helps.
Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I’ve already tried this and I still have the problem. It’s when I change from the default srgb to the custom icc profile that it causes this problem. 
Thanks for the initial help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leave the document profile alone! You don't assign the print profile to the document. You set it up in the print dialog for Photoshop to convert to when sending data to the printer. The document profile stays what it is.

Never assign profiles unless a profile is missing, or you know for a fact that the embedded profile is not the correct one. If you need a different profile, you convert to that profile. But that's not necessary for printing.

Set up the print profile in the print dialog, then go into the printer driver and disable all printer color management. IIRC that happens automatically in MacOS. Also set the correct paper type in the printer driver. This controls total amount of ink.

What you can use the print profile for in Photoshop is soft proofing. This will show you on-screen if there is any gamut clipping that you may or may not want to compensate. That's assuming you have a monitor with a gamut wide enough to cover the entire print profile. Otherwise there's limited usefulness to soft proofing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D_Fosse,

Yes, I meant to say if I do soft proofing, I can see the difference in the color profiles. I have already disabled all color management on my printer. I've done this (printing with a custom color profile) numerous times with no problems. It's only until this recent PS are there problems. I haven't changed anything else in my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also noticed this problem in Lightroom 9.1.

I downloaded Affinity Photo to see if it was something I was missing or doing wrong and when I went to print my files with the custom color/print profiles, they printed fine. I'd rather not have to switch to Affinity Photo but if this is a known bug, I guess I might have to wait until it gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No known bug that I'm aware of. We'd hear about it here.

If it worked before, when did it change? After Photoshop 2020, or after Catalina? Sometimes new operating systems require new drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi D_Fosse,

After PS 2020, the print profiles didn't work anymore. As I mentioned earlier, the same profiles work fine on Affinity Photo but not in PS or Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color management problems in Mac can be the application, or it can be the OS. It's 50/50.

Mac is different from Windows in this regard. On Mac, profile conversions are called by the application, but executed by the OS. In Windows, it's all done by the application and the OS is strictly hands off, it just makes the profiles available.

That one application is affected by something and another is not, does not prove it's the application. It can mean one app is making calls the other is not.

So the question is: did you update to Catalina at the same time you updated to PS2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first updated Catalina and then PS. If it was the OS, I would imagine it would affect more than just PS when it comes to print profiles.

Has anyone else with a Mac tried to print with a print profile in PS2020?? It looks like I'll have to make do with Affinity Photo until I figure something else out. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this exact issue. I just reverted to PS 2018 and my colours are back to normal. I hope PS2020 fix this issue or it somehow resolves. Did you figure anything out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  Let me know if you figured this out.

I reloaded printer driver and reloaded ICC profiles.  Colors are still off printing using Photoshop 2020 on a new Mac Pro with OS Catalina.

BTW, using the same computer and printer, I have printed using Capture One 20 and colors are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here after updating to 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Freebooter the color management experts need way more information to be able to help you.

Which exact computer do you have/screen if not built-in. Which OS version, exact Ps version?

When do you see this discrepency, which difference do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thank you for your quick follow up. I have a company where I do 1) Image Editing (Photoshop) and 2) Calibration and setup of Photoshop, monitors and printers for professional photographers.

Over the last month I have experienced, that ICC printer profiles generated with xRite Colormunki on M1 mac's with OS 12 Monteray gives an unexpected result when used from Photoshop CS 2022.

If the same profiles are used from any other software, the result are as expected. The error I see is wrong colors. Grays are perfect (no colorcast) but the general contrast is way to high. All the dark areas of an image is printet almost black and caucasian skintones are printed red.

A typical setup is Macbook Pro M1 or Mac Mini M1, Eizo CG 2730, Epson SureColor P700/800/900.

I have tested with Imageconversion from AdobeRGB to sRGB before printing and different rendering methods. I have also tried to print with the standard ICC profiles from Epson both with Printer Manages- and Photoshop Manages Colors. All with no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having similar issues running Mac OS Big Sur 11.4 and Photoshop 2021. 

When converting color profile the preview shows two different results of sRGB IEC61966-2.1. I open an existing image (sRGB IEC61966-2.1) and when previewing the conversion and selecting the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (which should be of no difference) the result shows it to be more saturated - as I imagine Adobe RGB (1998) should appear. 

My Process:

1. Open an image that is embedded with Adobe RGB (1998)

2. Convert to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 - result as expected is less intense/enriched than Adobe RGB (1998)

3. If I then go back to "Convert to profile..." with current woring profile (sRGB IEC61966-2.1), then select the exact same sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile from the list to preview, all the colors look entierly incorrect. The result SHOULD be absolutely no difference - as it is the same exact profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Its almost as if the profile is multipyling itself when it is being previewed.

Even if I just open an existing file that is sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and try step 3, the result is exactly that, wrong! There SHOULD be no difference in the preview/display.

sRGB IEC61966-2.1 should be exactly that, sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

I'ts gotta be a bug somewhere? Waiting for advanced support to get back to me.

Waiting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, when you convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB you should never see a general loss of saturation. It shold only affect colors that are out of sRGB gamut, but otherwise the general appearance should stay the same.

The sRGB > sRGB conversion issue, however, is a glitch that has been reported from time to time (although rarely) as long as I can remember. I don't see it, but there's been a few posts here over the years.

It's probably a bug somewhere. What apparently happens is that the whole color management process stops, so that the RGB numbers in the file are just sent directly to screen. If you have a wide gamut display, that means sudden oversaturation. On a standard screen you probably wouldn't notice it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply D Fosse.

You are right to say what you said about the general loss of saturation, my comment lacked some refinement to what I actually meant to say.

The sRGB > sRGB conversion issue continued to puzzle me so I when exploring a little further. I followed the line of thought whereby the Mac update has throw the issue. In digging around I found this article about which screen profile is best for an iMac (https://larryjordan.com/articles/configure-the-new-macbook-pro-to-p3-color-space/ ). Basically, I had "iMac" set as a screen profile (obvious right??) but after reading this article I had instead chosen the screen profile to be "Display P3" and, problem solved - I hope.

Im going to keep my eye on the editing over the next few days to see if any further problem arise but for now its looking okay. It appears to me that "Display P3" is the only screen profile that does not throw the issue (keeping in mind that sRGB IEC61966-2.1, Adobe RGB (1998) should be used for Adobe Photoshop and not the Mac screen).

I am happy to also hear that the bug has been around before (not really happy in that sense), but it helps to feel I am not going nuts 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are pretty serious calibration issues with the M1 XDR Macs

if you have one there's more about those here Adobe Community M1 XDR Macbook discussion

and

macrumors - apple-explains-how-to-custom-calibrate-the-new-macbook-pro-displays 

For non - XDR Liquid Retina displays please see below

"In digging around I found this article about which screen profile is best for an iMac (https://larryjordan.com/articles/configure-the-new-macbook-pro-to-p3-color-space/ ). Basically, I had "iMac" set as a screen profile (obvious right??) but after reading this article I had instead chosen the screen profile to be "Display P3" and, problem solved - I hope."

Apple automatically create an ICC profile for attached screens - so, especialy with Apple screens, the ICC display profile to use (if you don't have a calibrator) is the one called, in most Macbooks, "Color LCD" [or similar] or on iMac, something like "iMacLCD".

On my Macbook (older model) that appears at the top of the list in the System Preferences / Displays / Color control panel.

Checking "show profiles for this display only" therein the System Preferences / Displays / Color control panel should narrow down the list for you.

The best display profile is one made specifically for your own display by measurement using a device such as a colorimeter and good display calibration/profiling software . 

advice/display-screen-colour-management 

products/basiccolor 

Selecting, say,Display-P3, Adobe RGB or sRGB, from the list can only be used for troubleshooting display profile issues, no display is properly characterised by Display-P3, Adobe RGB or sRGB, since no display fully accurately matches Display-P3, Adobe RGB or sRGB.

(BTW, Display-P3, Adobe RGB or sRGB are working colour spaces not actual device colour spaces). 

Newer Apple displays are claimed to be close to the Display-P3. But, all the same, selecting "Color LCD" or iMac LCD" will be more accurate. 

SO in your case you should choose the iMac display [profile NOT Dsiplay-P3, NO display will exactly match Display P3, a custom calibration and profile of the actual display is by far best, but ecoind to that is Apples own default profile

Have you ever wondered how to KNOW whether your screen [or printer] is ACCURATE and not just 'pleasing'?
If so please check this out: http://www.colourmanagement.net/products/icc-profile-verification-kit

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure your screen is ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines