Highlighted

Color profiles broken in PS 2020

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I try to contact proof/assign a color profile or print using my icc color profiles I have used prior to updating PS, the colors are way off. I have used these profiles successfully in the past and now none of them seem to be working correctly. I even created a new icc profile and still have the same problem. Any ideas?

I'm on a Mac with the Catalina OS. I'm using PS version 21.0.2.

Thanks for any help!

Topics

Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Color profiles broken in PS 2020

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I try to contact proof/assign a color profile or print using my icc color profiles I have used prior to updating PS, the colors are way off. I have used these profiles successfully in the past and now none of them seem to be working correctly. I even created a new icc profile and still have the same problem. Any ideas?

I'm on a Mac with the Catalina OS. I'm using PS version 21.0.2.

Thanks for any help!

Topics

Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does not sound good, as the colors appears to be off, could you try changing the screen color profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Let us know if it helps.
Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does not sound good, as the colors appears to be off, could you try changing the screen color profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Let us know if it helps.
Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I’ve already tried this and I still have the problem. It’s when I change from the default srgb to the custom icc profile that it causes this problem. 
Thanks for the initial help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leave the document profile alone! You don't assign the print profile to the document. You set it up in the print dialog for Photoshop to convert to when sending data to the printer. The document profile stays what it is.

Never assign profiles unless a profile is missing, or you know for a fact that the embedded profile is not the correct one. If you need a different profile, you convert to that profile. But that's not necessary for printing.

Set up the print profile in the print dialog, then go into the printer driver and disable all printer color management. IIRC that happens automatically in MacOS. Also set the correct paper type in the printer driver. This controls total amount of ink.

What you can use the print profile for in Photoshop is soft proofing. This will show you on-screen if there is any gamut clipping that you may or may not want to compensate. That's assuming you have a monitor with a gamut wide enough to cover the entire print profile. Otherwise there's limited usefulness to soft proofing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D_Fosse,

Yes, I meant to say if I do soft proofing, I can see the difference in the color profiles. I have already disabled all color management on my printer. I've done this (printing with a custom color profile) numerous times with no problems. It's only until this recent PS are there problems. I haven't changed anything else in my workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also noticed this problem in Lightroom 9.1.

I downloaded Affinity Photo to see if it was something I was missing or doing wrong and when I went to print my files with the custom color/print profiles, they printed fine. I'd rather not have to switch to Affinity Photo but if this is a known bug, I guess I might have to wait until it gets fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No known bug that I'm aware of. We'd hear about it here.

If it worked before, when did it change? After Photoshop 2020, or after Catalina? Sometimes new operating systems require new drivers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi D_Fosse,

After PS 2020, the print profiles didn't work anymore. As I mentioned earlier, the same profiles work fine on Affinity Photo but not in PS or Lightroom.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color management problems in Mac can be the application, or it can be the OS. It's 50/50.

Mac is different from Windows in this regard. On Mac, profile conversions are called by the application, but executed by the OS. In Windows, it's all done by the application and the OS is strictly hands off, it just makes the profiles available.

That one application is affected by something and another is not, does not prove it's the application. It can mean one app is making calls the other is not.

So the question is: did you update to Catalina at the same time you updated to PS2020?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first updated Catalina and then PS. If it was the OS, I would imagine it would affect more than just PS when it comes to print profiles.

Has anyone else with a Mac tried to print with a print profile in PS2020?? It looks like I'll have to make do with Affinity Photo until I figure something else out. Thanks for the help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this exact issue. I just reverted to PS 2018 and my colours are back to normal. I hope PS2020 fix this issue or it somehow resolves. Did you figure anything out?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
mmaybell LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  Let me know if you figured this out.

I reloaded printer driver and reloaded ICC profiles.  Colors are still off printing using Photoshop 2020 on a new Mac Pro with OS Catalina.

BTW, using the same computer and printer, I have printed using Capture One 20 and colors are fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines