Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color profiles on smart objects lost after update to 19.1.2

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

after updating to 19.1.2 I encounter the following problem: I have a psd file with smart objects created from raw files. When I double click the smart object, I get the Adobe Camera Raw window, where I find the color profiles in the new location, the 'basic' tab. But... it does not display the color profile that I have used to create the smart object. It displays 'Adobe Color'. When I do not change anything and just click OK, the color profile of the smart object is changed to 'Adobe Color', thus changing the color of the smart object. Similarly: when I open this psd file and convert it from 8 to 16 bits/channel, the color of the whole image changes in the same way. I guess what happens is that Adobe Camera Raw recalculates the smart object to render them in 16bits/channel using 'Adobe Color', instead of the color profile that I had used before to create these smart objects.

Now, there is no way for me to see which profile was used to create the smart objects. And when I edit the amart objects, Camera Raw will use the wrong profile (Adobe Color) to render them.

When I create new psd-files, everything works fine.

All my previously created color profiles did migrate to the new version of Camera Raw: when I browse through the color profiles I found them under 'profiles'.

Still: could the problem be that all my color profiles should be in a certain Adobe directory for Camera Raw to be able to recognize the original profile that was used to create the smart object?

Afriend with the same versions of the software, and working on a Mac, has the same issue with existing files. I am on Win7 64.

Thanks, best regards, Thijs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not talking about color profiles, but about camera profiles. The new version of Camera Raw contains these new profiles, so what happens to old ones should depend on their origin. If you used a custom camera profile, then that profile should still be available. If you used a standard profile, then this profile will be 'upgraded' to the new version. That should not cause a color shift, however, so this may be a bug.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. The profiles that I used were custom camera profiles, but also 'Adobe Standard'. But no matter what profile I used, when I now reopen the embedded RAW file from the psd-file in Camera Raw, the 'Adobe Color' profile is used, ignoring the profile that I used before. Whether that was a custom or the 'Adobe Standard' profile makes no difference.

The color change is a logical result of using the wrong profile. BTW: all other settings are displayed correctly, it is not that all settings are lost. Could it be that the profile setting is not read, so Camera Raw just uses 'Adobe Color' as a default profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the problem does not occur with newly created layered files with embedded smart objects, my guess would be that new-ACR writes the data into the embedded smart object in a different way. And it reads the data correctly, but it does not read the data correctly from files created with old-ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is definitely a bug, and I noticed you guys have already reported it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan. I guess by reporting you mean the feedback forum? Is there anything else that I can do to ask Adobe support for this shortcoming? I am thinking of rolling back to former version of Ps/Br/ACR but would need some help to do it. I remember having phone calls and chats with Adobe a few years ago, but I can't find those support options anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also post in the Camera Raw forum, as the ACR engineers also wander there when they have the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

wrote

Thanks Johan. I guess by reporting you mean the feedback forum? Is there anything else that I can do to ask Adobe support for this shortcoming? I am thinking of rolling back to former version of Ps/Br/ACR but would need some help to do it. I remember having phone calls and chats with Adobe a few years ago, but I can't find those support options anymore.

Yes, the feedback forum is the official forum to report bugs and file feature requests.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines