Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color sat clipping indicator

Enthusiast ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to Adobe dev team: Suggestion:

Please add a color saturation clipping indicator. . . something much like histogram shows when darks/lights clip, when adjusting luminance sliders.

Yes, I know we can see colors clipping via colors on the histogram, but I believe they show clipping due to luminance not saturation. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

So, consistent with any saturation or vibrance adjustment . . . .maybe when we hold down the alt key, we can see a visual display when oversaturation causes image clipping or undersaturation shows loss of color to B&W.

Why?

Because when we adjust vibrance and/or saturation sliders it is hard to see over-saturation destroying an image when we see the complete image . . . and ability to see where and when oversat happens, we can avoid over saturating an image in the process of color corrections or applying special effects. Often these go un-noticed until late in image processing.

And it would serve as a very useful color saturation check/test, at end of processing, when we think we are done.

Oversaturation and too high contrast are easy to slightly 'over correct' and are not readily noticed; so a "test" would be handy/useful to have.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Doug.S 

We are volunteer users and do not work for Adobe. Yes, I realize there is a tag on this forum for "feature request", but to leave a feature request that will be seen by Adobe developers, you need to do so here: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"they show clipping due to luminance not saturation. (Correct me if I am wrong.)"

You're wrong 🙂 Gamut clipping (aka saturation clipping) is precisely characterized by one or more channels clipping either in the high or low end. Clipping always shows in the histogram, and it's the most accurate way to identify it.

In other words, there is no need for a separate clipping indicator.

As an example, an intense cyanish blue (sky blue) will very rapidly clip the red channel in the low end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines