• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Space Issue

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InkedScreenshot 2021-01-06 112911_LI.jpgInkedScreenshot 2021-01-06 112911_LI 2.jpgScreenshot 2021-01-06 112920.png

As you can see in the screenshots above, the image is color changes from the thumbnail when I first open Photoshop to my actual working space. When I open in the Windows Photos app, the colors look the same as the thumbnail. The only time the image looks different is in the actual working space inside Photoshop.

My Color Settings preferences have been set to ProPhoto RGB and the images profile has also been set to ProPhoto RGB, there is no mismatching profile here. I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it. Help!?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Photos does not support color management at all. It will never display correctly, under any circumstances, and can not be trusted.

In Photoshop, the embedded profile will override the working space. There is no need for profiles to match, anywhere, under any circumstances. That's the whole point of having profiles in the first place.

I would strongly advise you to not use ProPhoto until you're fully aware of how this works. If you don't follow strict color management procedure, and always work in an end-to-end color managed environment, ProPhoto is extremely risky and you can quickly get into deep trouble. Stay with sRGB until you get more experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the advice. 

How do I change/manage the embedded profile? I edited my photo and I want to export the image as I see it in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How do I change/manage the embedded profile?

I edited my photo and I want to export the image as I see it in Photoshop.

Duplicate the original file, save the original

next, working on the copy, in Photoshop's menu go to:

Edit / convert to profile and select the desired destination space profile here.

If you are converting between working color spaces [say ProPhoto and sRGB] then the selected rendering intent here makes no difference to the result [as working space profiles don't contain a perceptual tag]. The default of relative colorimetric will be fine, when using that setting, be sure Black Point Compensation is checked - as it is by default, see below

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 08.49.59.jpg

Rather than exporting the file - you may be best served to generally use "save as" 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, how do I make sure the thumbnails displaying in Photoshop before I open a file, match the file when I open them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the start screen thumbnails don't match the file when open - then the start screen isn't properly color managed either. I have always had the start screen turned off, so I don't know.

I'd recommend setting the status bar (bottom left of the image window) to show color profile instead of the rather useless image size. This way you always know at a glance. If it says "untagged", you need to assign a profile. In most cases the right profile to assign will be sRGB.

What you need to watch is Export/Save For Web. There is an "embed color profile" checkbox that you need to check. For some reason that I don't understand, it's unchecked by default. If you're sending files out for web, always convert to sRGB first.

A regular "Save As" will always embed the profile, as long as there is one to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines