Highlighted

Colors change when moving to 2nd monitor

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a typical 2 monitor setup running Windows 10 on a standard PC.  One monitor is Dell, the other is Acer.

When I move Photoshop from the Acer to the Dell, I get a yellow tinge.  It only affects Photoshop, and it only affects Photoshop once the program is more than half way moved between the screens.

Under Edit-->Color Settings, I can temporarily fix the issue by changing the settings to "Monitor Color."  The problem is that I have to select RGB as "Monitor RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1" when the program is on the Acer screen, and "Dell S2340L Color Profile, D65" when it's on the Dell.  Photoshop is not recognizing the correct color profile itself if I drag the program back to the other screen.

This issue started when up finally upgraded to Windows 10.  There was no problem with Windows 7, and there's no problem with any other program.  Is this a bug or is there another setting I can try?

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Colors change when moving to 2nd monitor

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a typical 2 monitor setup running Windows 10 on a standard PC.  One monitor is Dell, the other is Acer.

When I move Photoshop from the Acer to the Dell, I get a yellow tinge.  It only affects Photoshop, and it only affects Photoshop once the program is more than half way moved between the screens.

Under Edit-->Color Settings, I can temporarily fix the issue by changing the settings to "Monitor Color."  The problem is that I have to select RGB as "Monitor RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1" when the program is on the Acer screen, and "Dell S2340L Color Profile, D65" when it's on the Dell.  Photoshop is not recognizing the correct color profile itself if I drag the program back to the other screen.

This issue started when up finally upgraded to Windows 10.  There was no problem with Windows 7, and there's no problem with any other program.  Is this a bug or is there another setting I can try?

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't change anything in color settings! That's not where the problem is, and you're breaking Photoshop's whole color management. Change it back to where it was!

This is a problem with the Dell monitor profile. Dell has a long and sad history of shipping defective monitor profiles, and unfortunately they are allowed to distribute these bad profiles through Windows Update. But that said, Acer isn't much better.

Replace the Dell profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1. This is a temporary solution until you can get a calibrator to make a proper profile, but it's better than a broken profile. Relaunch Photoshop when done, it needs to load the profile at startup:

Displayprofile_20_3.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 05, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with D Fosse here

if you want a fuller explanation here is my offering:

Display profile issues on Windows

At least once a week on this forum we read about this, or very similar issues of appearance differing between applications.

Unfortunately, with Microsoft hardware: Windows updates, Graphics Card updates and Display manufacturers have a frustratingly growing reputation for installing useless (corrupted) monitor display profiles.

I CAN happen with Macs but with far less likelyhood, it seems.

The issue can affect different applications in different ways, some not at all, some very badly.

The poor monitor display profile issue is hidden by some applications, specifically those that do not use colour management, such as Microsoft Windows "Photos".

Photoshop is correct, it’s the industry standard for viewing images, in my experience it's revealing an issue with the Monitor Display profile rather that causing it. Whatever you do, don't ignore it. As the issue isn’t caused by Photoshop, don’t change your Photoshop ‘color settings’ to try fix it. 

If you want to rule out pretty much the only issue we ever see with Photoshop, you can reset preferences, I never read of a preferences issue causing this problem though:

To reset the preferences in Photoshop: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

To find out if this is the issue, I recommend you to try setting the monitor profile for your own monitor display under “Device” in your Windows ‘color management’ control panel to sRGB. You can ADD sRGB if its not already listed. 

And be sure to check “Use my settings for this device”.

(OR, if you have a wide gamut monitor display (check the spec online) it’s better to try Adobe RGB instead).

Quit and relaunch Photoshop after the control panel change, to ensure the new settings are applied.

NB__colourmanagement_0-1596701037744.jpeg

If this change fixes the issue, it is recommended that you should now calibrate and profile the monitor properly using a calibration sensor like i1display pro, which will create and install it's own custom monitor profile. The software should install it’s profile correctly so there should be no need to manual set the control panel once you are doing this right. 

Depending on the characteristics of your monitor display and your requirements, using sRGB or Adobe RGB here may be good enough - but custom calibration is a superior approach.

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2020 0