• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

colorspace when sharing to Photos from Photoshop

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the share function from Photoshop to Photos, what happens to the colorspace? Does Photoshop automatically convert to sRGB as it creates the jpeg file that goes to Photos?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m getting a conversion to Generic RGB when I share to Messages or Mail. I don’t use Photos, but assume it would be the same:

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's "generic RGB"? How does that relate to the standard color spaces? Just out of curiosity -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s an Apple profile, so I assume something different happens when you Share... on a Windows machine?

It’s somewhat smaller than sRGB—sRGB in white.

Screen Shot 25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got curious too, and a quick search found an old archived Apple Developer tech note…

Technical Q&A QA1430 - Apple RGB and Generic RGB profiles explained

…that says…

The Generic RGB profile that ships with Mac OS X is based on P22 phosphors, D65 white point and 1.8 gamma.

If so, the Generic RGB profile assumes a CRT and doesn’t relate to any of the non-phosphor flat panel displays that everyone uses now. But if it’s used as an embedded profile in an image, that should be OK since any color-managed application would convert from it to the display profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, sRGB-ish, but gamma 1.8. 

Not so generic after all; it won't be any use without full color management. In other words the file could just as well stay in the original color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles,

I tested the process you asked about.

(Why you ask would be good to know?)

I "shared" an Adobe RGB image from Photoshop to OSX Photos.

The appearance in Photos was correct.

Next, I exported from Photos and re-opened the exported image in Photoshop so that I could see the ICC profile.

No sign of a mystery legacy generic ICC - it had been converted to sRGB according to the proile tag revealed in Photoshop

Pre share:
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 07.48.50.jpg

After "share" from Photoshop to Photos then exporting and re-opening in Photoshop

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 07.49.06.jpg

According to this test I'd suggest that an image "shared" to Photos IS being converted to sRGB 

Rob, sadly share to messages never worked for me - nothing happens wheh clicking that option, so I can't test it. if Apple have left a generic RGB profile in that process it would be good to see that get updated. 

Who to ask there? Who knows! John Zimmerer was a great Colorsync Tzar during my early involvement with Apple but that "post" apparently went many years ago.

I hope this helps

thanks
neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer
[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No sign of a mystery legacy generic ICC

OSX (I’m using High Sierra) has always installed a group of default profiles, in the System folder System>Library>ColorSync. The profiles named Generic live there:

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines