Highlighted

Colour changes between illustrator and photoshop, why is this happening?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see I'm copying a  #a420a8 coloured element from an Illustrator RGB document to photoshop and it converts the color to #a31fa8 for reasons I don't understand.

CC says colour management is synchronized and profiles are the same, still the colour changes.

Why? What can I do? Is it a bug?

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Colour changes between illustrator and photoshop, why is this happening?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see I'm copying a  #a420a8 coloured element from an Illustrator RGB document to photoshop and it converts the color to #a31fa8 for reasons I don't understand.

CC says colour management is synchronized and profiles are the same, still the colour changes.

Why? What can I do? Is it a bug?

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, hex is just base 16 notation for RGB numbers. As such, they are subject to standard color management, and numbers are color space specific. The same color in sRGB and Adobe RGB will yield different numbers and vice versa.

Secondly, the embedded document profile will always override your working space. Color settings aren't all that important and there's no reason they need to be synchronized.

All that said, what we have here is a one-step shift in the R and G channels, up and down respectively. That's a very typical result of jpeg compression. So I'll guess that your PS document is a jpeg?

Jpeg compression is very aggressive, and irreversibly destructive. In addition, the color component is much more aggressively compressed than the luminance component. Colored banding and numbers shifting is to be expected.

If you need accurate numbers, you cannot use jpeg.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see from the video, I have just created the document in Photoshop, didn't save it or anything, I doubt photoshop treats unsaved files as jpeg?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Videos are little use. Make screenshots, with the color picker, from both apps. Also we need to see which color space the document is in. Not your color settings, but the actual document.

Where are you picking the color? How do you get it from Ai to PS?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the beginning of the video I show that I have set the same sRGB colour profile in color settings in both programs.

I create a document in Illustrator, with color mode RGB and make a rectangle with the colour #a420a8.

After this I create an RGB document in Photoshop, with the same sRGB colour profile.

Now I have two RGB  documents with the same sRGB colour profile in the documents. Then I copy the rectangle from the AI document and paste it as smart object in the PS document, pick the colour in PS and it is different. 

There should be no need to convert any colours when the document profile and mode is the same from start to finish, and to be sure, aswell in both program's color settings.

I even went the extra mile and assigned the same sRGB profile in Illustrator before copying the object, to no avail.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m seeing the same in CC2020 whether I copy and paste or place the .ai file. If I open the .ai sRGB file in Photoshop, the hex color is unchanged.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! And now if you try and copy/paste the object in the opened .ai document in photoshop, the colour is unchanged.

So even if it looks like its using the same profile in photoshop, it seems like when the document is created with the profile, its somehow defective.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at my workstation now so I can't test for myself. Do you mean that you're also seeing the numbers shift with paste/place?

In that case, yes, that qualifies as a bug. That should obviously not happen.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also we tested this with a friend on Mac and it didn't happen. Repeated the exact same steps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on OSX HS and am seeing different hex values on a paste or place but not on an open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Rob is using a Mac too, so that can't be it.

In any case, I'm back at my workstation and can reproduce it here, exactly as described - #a420a8 changes to #a31fa8 in Photoshop. Yes, I agree this looks very much like a bug.

Just to clarify what happens, 164-32-168 changes to 163-31-168. So red goes down one step, and green goes up one step. Blue is unchanged.

Interestingly, going the other way, from Photoshop to Illustrator, preserves the numbers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested a cut and paste between InDesign 2020 and Photoshop 2020 and the hex values changed. Then tested InDesign 2018 to Photoshop 2020 and the hex values were correct. I don’t have an earlier version of Illustrator to test, but the "bug" may have been introduced with 2020?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen to me not long ago, since I use this way of moving vector elements to Photoshop often, also I'm on 2021.

Might have something to do with Windows update?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
D Fosse LATEST
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has nothing to do with the operating system. Rob is using a Mac.

This is apparently an Adobe bug, but in what application(s) the problem is, or when it was introduced, is hard to say. I tested with Photoshop 2021 and 2020, and Illustrator 2021. I don't have earlier versions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0