• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour replacement tool not working

Contributor ,
Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a jpeg file loaded into Photoshop CS6. This is a black logo on a white background. The colour replacement tool has no effect on this (I want to change the black to another colour)

I have read somewhere that the tool doesnt work with black and white? is that correct and if so, how do i get the colour changed

Thanks

Chris Anderson

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Hi Cjacs,

You may try using blending modes to achieve your desired result. Starting with a black and white logo:

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 2.07.07 PM.png

1) Create a new fill layer by going to Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color.

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 2.07.24 PM.png

2) At the first dialog box, click OK. Then choose the color you want the artwork to be.

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 2.07.43 PM.png

3) You logo artwork will then be hidden, but don't worry! We'll using blending modes to change this.

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 2.08.02 PM.png

4) In the Layers Panel, look for the area where it says "Normal." This is where you change the blend mode. Open this dropdown

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cjacs,

You may try using blending modes to achieve your desired result. Starting with a black and white logo:

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 2.07.07 PM.png

1) Create a new fill layer by going to Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color.

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 2.07.24 PM.png

2) At the first dialog box, click OK. Then choose the color you want the artwork to be.

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 2.07.43 PM.png

3) You logo artwork will then be hidden, but don't worry! We'll using blending modes to change this.

4) In the Layers Panel, look for the area where it says "Normal." This is where you change the blend mode. Open this dropdown menu and select Screen.

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 2.08.09 PM.png

5) Your artwork will then be changed to the color you chose before.

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 2.08.14 PM.png

I hope this was helpful! Please don't hesitate to ask more questions if this did not solve your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Many many thanks for that detailed reply.

I am going to try it out later today

Thanks again, much appreciated

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this only changed the image color to a screen of the color I selected. I realize you used 'Screen' but will any of those options change it to 100% of the new color?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the image you are talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone coming from Google this doesn't work in the latest version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read somewhere that the tool doesnt work with black and white?

Check out the Options Bar – what »Mode« is the Color Replacement Tool set to?

»Color« and »Luminance« are different aspects and cannot be edited with the Tool simultaneously.

So true black could either be changed to something lighter with »Luminance« but the darkest version of any color (in the sense of a combination of hue and saturation) is still black indeed.

But ultimately the question is pretty much moot because the tool is useless for serious, non-destructive work anyway – in my opinion at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Color Replacement tool is not an appropriate choice when the existing color (black)  has zero luminosity.

Another option, in addition to CP's fine approach is to use Image > Adjustments Hue/Saturation.

Fig_.png

Note that Colorize has been checked and the sliders have been adjusted. Hue does not provide a precise designated color.

For that you may make a selection of the black part of the image, then Edit > Fill with the Foreground color, and blending mode set to Normal.

Wow! I just realized this inquiry is six years old!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option with black/white images is to apply a colour overlay effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The colour replacement tool is not workng for me either. It doesn't matter what blend mode I have it on, whatever colour i choose using the dropper will only register as grey. I've tried changing multiple settings and modes and nothings works. It'd be really nice ifwe had an option to actually trouble shoot these thingsw ith a person. You know, considering Adobe has switched from a one time purchase, to a monthly subscription thing, and the costomer service is now somehow worse despite making way more money... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines