Highlighted

Colour variances

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create Scrapbook pages in Photoshop.  Sometimes when I paste an image into an almost completed page the colour of the image seems to change.  I goes quite bland.  I have checked that the colour space on both the page and the image are the same.

I have no idea what to check to fix this.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Colour variances

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create Scrapbook pages in Photoshop.  Sometimes when I paste an image into an almost completed page the colour of the image seems to change.  I goes quite bland.  I have checked that the colour space on both the page and the image are the same.

I have no idea what to check to fix this.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't stop at color space, but also check for color profiles. The behavior is a clear indication that some images may have specific color profiles that deviate from your current one. The same applies to raw images from digiatl cameras that may simply have different develop settings assigned. Double-check these things. In the interest of efficiency I would also advise to create dedicated versions of your images calibrated to the same spec and place them, rather than using copy & paste from various sources.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's the color profile - but specifically it means one of them is untagged, it doesn't have an embedded profile at all.

Always make sure the profile is embedded when you save the file. In a normal Save/Save As that happens automatically, but for some reason Save For Web/Export by default strip the profile. You need to check the box to "embed profile" manually. Always check this.

If the two profiles were merely different, like sRGB and Adobe RGB, the pasted file would be automatically converted to the target document profile in the paste operation and you wouldn't see any immediate difference.

All that said, you need to know at all times what your images' color profiles are. You can't ignore this. If you do, you will soon get into serious trouble. The best place to do that is here - it tells you everything you need to know at a glance:

notification_2.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Every file you save must have an embedded ICC profile so that appearance can be maintained when reopened, pasted etc.

If you have a file without, you need to use edit  "assign profile" and try the working colour spaces to see which seems most correct then save with the profile you chose embedded

here is some reading on ICC profiles and how they work for you to provide accurate colour through the digital work flow: https://www.colourmanagement.net/advice/about-icc-colour-profiles/

Of course all of this assessment should be done on a calibrated and profiled screen 

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines