Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Constrained Resize?

Contributor ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMacPro, Photoshop CC 2019

For all these years, holding down the Shift key while dragging out a corner handle resized an object or text proportionally.

Now, the Control key on my Mac keyboard is required.

Can I switch that back to Shift? ....a preference somewhere? I am getting used to it, however.

Thanks in advance,

MJ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Hi MJ,

It's true that Adobe has switched the functionality of Transform so that using the Shift key now scales things disproportionately. Dragging out a transform is proportional by default now and doesn't require any keys. I don't believe you need to be holding down the Control key.

There are many web pages which show how to revert to the previous functionality. I haven't personally done this but a quick Google search revealed one such page…

https://photoshoptrainingchannel.com/photoshop-proportional-scale-transform/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MJ,

It's true that Adobe has switched the functionality of Transform so that using the Shift key now scales things disproportionately. Dragging out a transform is proportional by default now and doesn't require any keys. I don't believe you need to be holding down the Control key.

There are many web pages which show how to revert to the previous functionality. I haven't personally done this but a quick Google search revealed one such page…

https://photoshoptrainingchannel.com/photoshop-proportional-scale-transform/

Cheers,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I "assumed" I needed to use one of the qualifier keys to resize proportionally. I tried each one, until it appeared that using the Control key was the correct new one. After the explanations above, I see it is not needed at all. I had just watched a video by a Mac user, and he used the Shift key, but it might have been an older.

Yes, I'd probably click a preference box to change it back if it were available. This is just another case of having to add a note about the new version if trying to explain how to do something in Photoshop. It might also break some people's older actions.

Thanks again!

Mike Jackson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I switch that back to Shift? ....a preference somewhere?

Adobe provides the steps to revert to the old behaviour in the online User Guide which few people (me included) seem to read.

Transform objects in Photoshop

It should be a Preference setting rather than forcing users to fiddle with text files but at least it exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been many complaints about this change. You can request that Adobe switch back to Shift key at

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines