• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to export to SVG from Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PS file that has text that I converted to a shape, plus another shape. I want to convert that to an SVG file, but, when I use the Explort As dialog, the only export file options are GIF, PNG and JPG. If I do Save As, the only options are Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF, and TIFF. 

I searched the help system, there's nothing there that I can find. Did they remove SVG export from Photoshop?? I sure hope not. I have Photoshop 22.4.3. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Hi everyone,

I understand how difficult it must be not to be able to export into an SVG format through Photoshop. However, I wanted to suggest trying Adobe Express as a possible solution for converting your images into the desired format: https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/convert/svg?cgen=JQVGW3QK&mv=other

I genuinely hope this helps in your work. Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Hi all,

Export to SVG format functionality discontinued from Photoshop 22.5 version in August'2021 last year. This feature in Photoshop has always been experimental and discontinued due to low usage and limitations.

If you still want to export your Photoshop document as SVG, you can follow any of these workarounds here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/export-artboards-layers.html#discontinue-export-as-svg

For Apple M1 users: Open Photoshop using Rosetta and ensure Preferences > tec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 251 Replies 251
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but wrong. A path in PS can be properly exported as a SVG, containing coordinates - if you turn on the old export in the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A path Exported to SVG from Photoshop opens in Illustrator as raster. No editable path, in fact no path at all. Just a raster shape. You could just as well use PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was creating SVG logo using photoshop I can convert the object to shape then export as... I can usually select SVG as an option but its gone. I thought maybe it was the layers or something...

I went into preferences and export option and SVG is gone as well. I am using windows and Have the latest version of photoshop 22.5

Am I the only one missing SVG as an export option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny … I can reproduce the issue (Photoshop 22.5.0 on Mac OS 10.15.7), but svg still seems to be listed in the Help: 

Export files in Photoshop

Ah, there is a mention of the changes here 

Other changes and enhancements

Quote:

»Navigate to Preferences > Export and enable Use Legacy "Export As". Quit and relaunch Photoshop.«

Kukurykus_0-1633172715539.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They took that away too now with the latest update.

ss-nolegacyexportopt.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the PSD in Illustrator and save there as SVG. Illustrator is better for vectors anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Illustrator is better but photoshop allowing the SVG is game changing especially if your really good in photoshop and not illustrator.

Use Legacy "Export As" then closing and reopening the app fixed my issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

If you are missing SVG format from Export as option after the Photoshop 22.5 update then, go to Photoshop > Preferences > Export > Enable "Use legacy Export As" option > restart Photoshop. You should start seeing the SVG format under Export as option.

If you are seeing this issue prior to Photoshop 22.5 update and using M1 machine (Apple Silicon), take a look at M1 native known issue here: Photoshop for Apple Silicon

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help - this is crazy. Why would this be an upgrade or update by Adobe - Hide the SVG? That's terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed today the I'm unabe to Export (File > Export > Export As) my PSDs as file type SVG - Only PNG JPG and GIF are available in the File Settings. I've tried with PSD files which I recently Exported as SVG and they are also not able to be Exported to SVG anymore. Curious. Worried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 22.5 but when I want to export as SVG, I can not export. How can I do that?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG export is only possible up to version 22.3.1. This bug has been around for a while, but Adobe doesn't seem to care. Sorry, but it is useless to report this bug here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the section for Legacy "Export As" here: Other changes and enhancements

With this release, the export of Photoshop documents as SVG is no longer supported in Photoshop using the Export As option. The 'Export As SVG' feature is being discontinued due to low usage and known limitations. 

If you still want to export your Photoshop document as SVG, you can follow any of these workarounds:

• Navigate to Preferences > Export and enable Use Legacy "Export As". Quit and relaunch Photoshop.
  • Open your PSD in Adobe XD or Illustrator and use their export as SVG functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop since 1999 and don't have Adobe XD or Illustrator. What I do have are tons of PSD files for logos with vector data. All the work I've done now that I need the SVG export for, can I throw away now? Are you guys kidding me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guten tag, the second line is an alternative option, it is not a mandatory step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We pay for Adobe's products- mainly for quality graphic work consisting of ALOT of vector images... makes NO sense why they would remove that option from photoshop. come on adobe, get some sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am brand new to adobe photoshop cc 2015 and I am try to convert a png file to an svg file.  Is there anyone who can help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't - PNG and JPGs are raster formats and svg is a vector format.

You might be able to do something with tracing in Illustrator, if you have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has some vector capabilities (funnily enough in some aspects they are even superior to Illustrator’s) so you might be able to recreate the elements in Photoshop, but as Derek Cross mentioned Illustrator may be the better application for the task.

Could you post (a lores version of) the image in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With PS 2017 it is possible, I often use this work flow to convert a bitmap image to a SVG (for file size reasons):

1. Open the PNG in Photoshop
  2. Edit and save file as PSD file
  3. Use File, Export as and indicate the format SVG.

If my memory is correct, exporting to SVG is a recent feature of Photoshop, have been waiting for it since quite a while. I don't think it is available in PS 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what does it do with a .PSD which contains raster parts? Does it convert it in high quality? Currently I use this converter: image.online-convert.com/convert-to-svg but it hardly can handle complex images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience raster images make terrible SVGs.  Scalable Vector Graphics need sharp, crisp edges to work effectively.  If you try to convert a fuzzy bitmap to SVG you will invariably have an enormous file size and poor image quality -- both deal breakers. 

My SVGs all begin life in Illustrator or Inkscape because they are vector graphics apps.   Photoshop is 1st & foremost a raster image editor which is fine for JPG or PNG images; not SVG.

Assuming you don't have a vector graphic to work with, you would need to trace paths around your image onto a new layer.  Depending on complexity of image, tracing new paths could be labor intensive.

I have not found any automated method that works 100% perfect.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I will take a look on Inkscape too.

Personally, I make .SVG images from logos to use them on https://www.vouchers4u.com/ . As you can see everything is optimized for retina like displays. Nowadays vector-graphics tends to be a must have on web, since everyone have high-res devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing what can be done when someone know's what they're talking about.  Almost clicked off the page after the first several comments "can't be done" and then I got to yours.  THANKS - works like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you understand the difference between vector and pixel content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines