Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting color scale to corresponding gray scale

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community,

I am trying to convert a color scale (valley relief) into corresponding shades of gray (then I'd like to use a digital milling machine). I have no idea how to do it...

I have attached the image of the valley, the caption provided and the result I would like to achieve.

As I have a discrete scale of 25 shades I thought of using the magic wand, but the map is continuous (and I would need 200 shades for sufficient precision ...).

Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you in advance !

[Https://img-19.ccm2.net/8pdgeqy44boqVtfU2qMOSEYjWeE=/a3e55e4e74be440b9ee10c6c4066390d/tmp/topo_valle... [image: https: //img-19.ccm2.net/8pdgeqy44boqVtfU2qMOSEYjWeE=/a3e55e4e74be440b9ee10c6c4066390d/tmp/topo_vallee_2.png | 440px || center] | fancy]topo_vallee_2.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image might be useless …

• the colors in the terrain map do not appear to correspond to the colors in the »scale«

• there seems to be compression and/or resampling damage 

• the map also seems to include some shading apart from the color coded height information  

Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 17.15.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Filter > Other > HSB/HSL. Using the HSL option I got this from the Hue/Red channel (with an extra Levels correction):

Semaphoric_1-1615570151404.png

although there is quite a bit of "trash" on the left side. Also, the Lightness/Blue channel has better tonality in the higher elevations, but it's combined with shading, so that would have to be dealt with.

Once you have that, you can tweak it using a Curves adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»Filter > Other > HSB/HSL«

Is that installed by default now? I think it used to be optional a while back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines