• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting JPG smart objects to use layers?

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll often drag images into a document to use them in a design. When I do so, they are inserted as smart objects containing a jpgs.

Sometimes, I end up wanting to make layered edits to the contents of these smart objects.

Unfortunately, Photoshop doesn't allow me to save the layered contents back to the smart object.

I can't seem to find any easy way to do this that maintains the image's resolution and placement.

The only way I've figured out thus far is to save the edited contents of the smart object to a new psd file, exit the smart object, return to the main document and replace the contents of the smart object with the newly saved psd.

Is there an easier way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is probably related to the smart objects being based on JPEG files. If you’re making layered edits to them, they can’t be saved as JPEG files because the JPEG file format has no way to store layers.

If that’s the cause, the way to solve it is to add images that are in a format that supports Photoshop layers, such as PSD (Photoshop format) or TIFF. Yes, they will have a larger file size, but it’s the only way you’ll be able to save them with layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this only happens when you drag any file to Photoshop you can turn off this from preferences so can work normally....regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you open a smart the work object file Photoshop creates should open in ACR, AI  or Photoshop.  If you make changes in ACR, AI or Photoshop an commit the changes by updating the work file.  Photoshop should see this and in turn update the Smart Object Layer object  with the Updated work file content.   If the Smart object you opened was a placed jpeg file and you add layers you have to flatten the work document so you can use save.  If you try to use save  and there are layers save will switch to save as so you can save a layered file.  You need to flatten if the work object was a jpg so save will update the temp work object file.  Photoshop will only update the smart object layer object if the temp Work object file is updated.

If  this is not working for you try resetting your Photoshop Preferences and Photoshop Tools. Something on you machine may have become corrupted. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines