Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy and paste adds noise to images

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I was playing around in photoshop trying to make a wedding album cover for a friend but when I copy-pasted an image, I noticed a huge noise increase in it. The same happens when I drag and move it (even when I convert to smart object). Could somebody explain how to avoid it?

Please check the video in attachment.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the video you don’t seem to confirm the transformation, so you would be viewing a preview. 

Does the appearance change when gitting the enter-key? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the noise goes away when you confirm the transformation then that is normal. If it does not then go to Preferences > General and make sure your Image Interpolation is not set to nearest neighbour.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The noise doesn't go away when I hit enter, and my Image Interpolation is set to Bicubic Automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible before and after confirming the transformation? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that what you are asking for? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I asked for screenshots (not a screen recording) taken at View > 100%. 

https://www.take-a-screenshot.org

You appear to be viewing the image at 536% magnification, so noticable pixelation does not seem surprising. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I will send screenshots when I get home.

On the other hand, wouldn't resizing a smart object to 50% and then zooming in 200% result in the same pixelation as before resizing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, a pixel image is made up of pixels.

Magnifying its display to 200% means 4 screen pixels represent one image pixel, 400% means 16 screen pixels represent one image pixel, so the image pixels become more noticable. 

Edit: 

magnificationEffect.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're telling me that a smart object will have the same pixelization if I shrink it first to 50% of its size and then zoom it to 200%, and if I zoom in that same image to 200% without any resizing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A smart object is always rendered on screen at the parent document's resolution, as if it was rasterized at that point. 

So you need to post a 100% screenshot, no zooming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»So you're telling me that a smart object will have the same pixelization if I shrink it first to 50% of its size and then zoom it to 200%, and if I zoom in that same image to 200% without any resizing?«

Edit: I may have misunderstood your question so please post meaningful screenshots to clarify what you mean. 

Please also see the screenshot in my previous post. 

If you downsample an image then it has fewer pixels than before. 

Changing the magnification of its display can create additional pixels for screen display but the detail that you destroyed is not there. 

If the Smart Object has more resolution than is being used in the containing document that is irrelevant for its display. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am afraid I misunderstood your question. 

So to clarify: No matter if an image has been resampled in any way the magnification 200% in Photoshop means hat 4 screen pixels represent one image pixel, 400% means 16 etc. 

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 14.02.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines