• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy and Paste Multiple Layers (or Group)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2010 Oct 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to copy a selection of multiple layers and then New - Paste to create a new document with the multiple layers.  What's the best way to do this?  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one approach:

Right click on the selected layers.

Click on Duplicate Layers..

In Destination box  click on down pointing arrow and select New.  Provide new name & click OK

You have a new document containing the  selected layers.

Paulo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy [removed] u just blew my mind!!!

Thx _ Paulo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highlight the layers in the layer panel, and then choose Layer > Duplicate layers and drop down the destination to a new document.

D'oh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I should be more specific - I want to use the rectangle marquee tool to select an area, then copy and paste it into a new document, without merging the layers.  I'm sure there's a way to do this, I'm just not sure how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the order of your operations

Image > Duplicate

On the duplicated image place your marquee tool and do Image > Crop

Paulo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - thank you.  This definitely works.  Not precisely what I was trying to do but it's a workaround.  Thank you to all of you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looking for this as well.  Seems like it should be a simple obvious feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you already have some precise selection that you don't want to recreate, make it a quick mask and it will stay in the duplicated image.

Alternatively you can achieve the same thing by just "Save as" with a new name and crop with you current selection. And if you need the previous image just open it. I think this is less hassle if you are going to save the document anyway. "Duplicate" makes sense if you really want to keep the two images open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would work perfectly except the Crop doesn't work with Feathered marquee edges...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Trim works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dshock wrote:

Would work perfectly except the Crop doesn't work with Feathered marquee edges...

Testing it in CS5 shows that it does.

Crop works with any kind of selection here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines