Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corruption Lines on Image in Photoshop when opening PDF

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, 

I would like to know if any of you might be able to explain why corruption lines in artworks occur when opening some PDF artworks in Photoshop.

It only happens to some artworks which is mind boggeling!
Is there a way to prevent this from happening by using standard or maybe custom Acrobat DC Pro Preflight profiles?

I have attached a clipping for you as referencen of the image in the .pdf document and then the image once opened in photoshop.

Screenshot of the PDFScreenshot of the PDF

Screenshot of PDF Opened in PhotoshopScreenshot of PDF Opened in Photoshop

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Good morning Stephen, 

Thanks for your response. I was not sure why it actually happens and as we deal with Large Format Prints i generally print at a lower resolution dependant on the dimentions of the print (which now explains why it shows up).

Most of the time our clients won't be able to re-save the graphics due to lead times on the projects so re-touching is always nessesary however I have managed to find a work around for this.

---> I open the supplied .pdf in Adobe Illustrator instead of Pho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because the PDF was saved with transparency flattened, resulting in “atomic regions” or “stitching artifacts”, which should not be visible at very high output resolutions, however at lower resolutions they are visible.

If the PDF can be re-authored without flattening transparency that is best.

If there’s no chance of getting the PDF regenerated, then it is possible to fix the image content without having to resort to retouching, which I can go into later if there is interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Stephen, 

Thanks for your response. I was not sure why it actually happens and as we deal with Large Format Prints i generally print at a lower resolution dependant on the dimentions of the print (which now explains why it shows up).

Most of the time our clients won't be able to re-save the graphics due to lead times on the projects so re-touching is always nessesary however I have managed to find a work around for this.

---> I open the supplied .pdf in Adobe Illustrator instead of Photoshop and export it from Illustrator as a .TIF then those "Stitch Lines" disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem and it isn't happening because of lower resolution. It happens with every pdf which has transparency (flatened or unflattened in any resolution up to 300dpi).

It is a huge problem and I think that Adobe should provide resolution for that.

I spend too many working hours on saving every pdf to eps and then opening in Photoshop to avoid those lines.

And what I realy don't understand is how Photoshop is able to open flattened eps without those lines and it can't do the same with pdf. Here is the screenshot of pdf and eps file (both 127dpi)

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad to see i am not the only guy in the world experiencing these problems.
It's been on going now for the better part of 10 years now and Adobe has still not provided a fix for this.

I am sure there are thousands of users out there with the same issues, it's just never brought up because it was never before mentioned in any forums.

--- My best preventative measure now is to design in Illustrator, save the .ai file (forget about .pdf's) and then just open the .ai file in photoshop.

It works like a dream! You will still be stuck with the issue if you receive a .pdf file from someone else though; but then in that case  ---> open the .pdf in illustrator and export the artwork out as a .tif (resolution in this export doesn't matter) and the stitch lines are GONE! ^^,)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My problem is that I get pdf files and I just have to prepare them for print. The easiest way for me is to save it as eps and than open it with PS. And it has always been an issue but I think that wasn't happening that often. Now it is on every file with transparency.

Anyway Adobe CS is too expensive to have that kind of issue. And again, it is ridiculous that it has problem with pdf but not with eps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines