• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

could not build a preview because of a program error

New Here ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a 900+MB file with several layers, working on a NEW powerful graphics PC, with all updates current.

The file I'm working on was doing fine until today where suddenly I cant save the file as I get this error (could not build a preview because of a program error).  I have searched through google for hours looking for a solution, I see the same error however nothing current since 2012 (or 2009).

Here is the file im working on so you can get an idea of why I require so many layers https://www.mapcomarketing.com/winery-maps - Click on the Texas Wine Map. I am adding 20 new wineries, replacing all winery labels with new design and moving everything around to accommodate it all

OH THE PAIN! I can add a graphic to a new layer however, I can only do 1 task then have to save, wait 1 minute for the save then do the next task. If I place a new graphic as a layer THEN try and move it, resize it or any other movement, I get there error and have to close the file entirely, and can not save.

UPDATE: I've figured out that if I start turning off layers I can save when I get the error however, this is still problematic as I wont be able to view all layers at once to make crucial final adjustments.

PLEASE I hope someone might have a solution to help!

Thanks in advance
Kelli

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kelli,

That does sound frustrating, as it's not a typical experience, as you're getting the error "Could not build a preview because of a program error", could you please let us know the version of Photoshop and operating system you're working on?

Also, could you try hiding some layers and then save the document, then re-open it and let us know if you still get the error?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil

Thank you for chiming in
Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.4 20190227.r.76 2019/02/27: 1205725  x64

If you look at my message above, I placed an UPDATE. So yes I can save if I turn off layers.  But that will only get me so far as it will become crucial to view all layers to make final adjustments. I assume in order to save the file when ive got it complete i'll have to...
1. turn on all layers / flatten file / then save
2. command Z (undo) the flatten, then turn off layers and save the layered file
Seems antiquated for Photoshop 2019!!!!

Here's some additional system info in needed (there is a lot more if needed)

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Version: 10 or greater 10.0.17763.475

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:12 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 8

Logical processor count: 16

Processor speed: 3600 MHz

Built-in memory: 65451 MB

Free memory: 44975 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 59967 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 75 %

Alias Layers: Disabled.

Modifier Palette: Enabled.

Highbeam: Enabled.

Image tile size: 1024K

Image cache levels: 4

Font Preview: Medium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the info.
I read the update you posted in your original post, however, I asked you to turn off some layers then save the file as a psd and then reopen it again and turn on all layers.
Does it work after that, or do you still get the error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... sorry about that!

So I was doing that earlier, closing the file and re-opening it and turning on layers that I was previously working on and I was getting the error, I tried it many times, kept getting the error, until I turned off many layers... HOWEVER now for some reason i'm not.

Perhaps its because i'm working with a different set of layers in a different folder? The good news is that I have ALL the layers on and it saved. This is weird

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil

Its still extremely buggy. I have to keep closing the entire file about every 10 moves, adjustments or layer adds.  Otherwise I get the preview error.  When I reopen the file its good for about 5 to 10 minutes

Kelli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like the issue might be related to the document.
Would you mind sharing the document with me via Private Message? So that I can test it out at my end?

To send a Private Message, please hover the cursor over my name to open the profile menu.
pm.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got same error.. did u solve it? plz help me marimuthu86@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I got the same message as well. I'm working in Photoshop 2019 on iMac. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution for this issue? need help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started getting this error. The solution I found:

Create a layer

Make that layer a Smart Object

Move other layers in Smart Object

And Save (:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone solved this issue!! I have to keep quitting my Photoshop, it saves the files the first few times and then it comes up with this message.

I can't work like this! please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am dealing with the exact same issue and have yet to find a resolution! Definitely quite frustrating, especially when I'm paying for a service and can't use it properly or rely on it to do something fairly straightforward like saving my projects. I've lost out on a lot because of this unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on a number of files! EXTREMELY frustrating when I have to keep quitting and losing EVERYTHING I've done to the file because it will not save!!! This is brutal and must be fixed ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a folder. Move everything into that folder. Make this folder a smart object. Then Save. Then double click on this smart object (the left icon) and it will open in a new windown. Highlight everything and drag it back into your file. You will have to adjust positioning so that it is in the same place. Ref the Smart Object. After its in the right place. Delete the Smart object. Save again. 

^ Just worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, I will try that workaround the next time it happens and I'm stuck, but this is a serious issue and needs to be fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I was facing the same issue. What I did is removed all unwanted layers, Pressed C for cropping all the images on the exact frame size I chose (to remove overflowing part of layers) and pressed enter.  Save now! Try this, I am not sure it will work for everyone, but worked for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!! All I did was crop (I had no unwanted layers) and it worked! You just saved me a bunch of work on a file I have been working on for days.... you're my hero!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been getting this error just recently.  I frequently work with many layers.  The solution to hide some of the layers is NOT AN ANSWER.   I have used Photoshop for years and have worked with many files larger than the one I am currently working on.  My PC is robust and has 32GB of RAM. AMD processor (A8-5600) with 4 cores.  Win 10-64 bit. Radeon HD Graphics.  The size of the file I am working on is 26.9 MB - 16-bit RGB resolution. I have worked with plenty larger files with earlier versions of Photoshop and had no problem.   I also have had since the beginning of this version of Photoshop 20.0.8 a problem when closing the browser window...Can't write new document presets file.  I have delted and re-installed the application, cleared every cache known to man, read all of the NON-ANSWERS in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be super grateful for answers to this problem as well. It just started for me. So far I created an image with layers of text, etc. against a pre-existing background... After saving a version as PSD and then jpg I went back and changed a word and tried to resave and got the 'could not build a preview because of a program error' message. Exited out, tried again, same. So I look up solutions... did the whole folder and smart object trick... that didn't work either and I'm at a loss here and super frustrated because this is needed asap. All of my software is updated. This makes no sense. Help! Please! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Day Snarkyblahblah,
I had called the Adobe Support line and spoke to someone - possibly in India who was able to get Photoshop up and running @ 100% but deleted all of my preferences, saved effects, workspace etc.He had to purge all cached files for photoshop - change my scratch disk(s).   It has taken me almost 8 months to rebuild and guess what - "Could not build a preview because of a program error again!This time I believe that it is due to the amount of space available on my main drive is dwindling fast - I have to purchase larger disk drives in order to try and circumvent any looming disaster.   
I do not know what the issue is - there has got to be a way to stop this error.  It won't even allow me to save my photoshop files in any format unless I disable all of the layers.  Some of my creations have hundreds of layers some only a few.  Either way - I have to disable all but one layer then save.  That does not help because it will not allow me to activate all of the layers to make a completed file to save.   Renaming does not work.  I may just have to create each segment on it's own document.  Save it make it a 8.png file and save them separately then recompose them in GIMP.  
My GIMP has zero issues and has been quite robust.   I used to use it all the time until I entered Photoshop subscription hell several years ago.   The last version of Photoshop that was before "pre" subscription days was 6.0.  The only reason I bit the bullet of subscriptions was to be able to handle text effectively which GIMP does not do well.   The previous versions of Photoshop never had issues.  You would think that making the software always up-to-date would stop the problem - instead it gets worse.
I have a boatload of files spread over 10 disks in Photoshop.  It would be very difficult for me to convert everything so I guess that I am stuck.
Jeffery Rowley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well! And I have a custom book cover I need to work on!!!! I am going to scream! Nothing here suggested has done squat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, all I do is turn the text layer into shape layer, I've never tried to make it a smart object but I think that could work as well, I do this when Iam sure about my work and when Iam totally done ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran into this today.  So Annoying but found something that fixed it for me.

Working on a macbook pro:

Turned off all layers and saved it a copy as a large document format 

Restarted computer and cleaned PRAM (cntrl + opt + p + r)

Opened document and turned on layers one by one without any layer styles

one by one turned on layer styles

Reopened document and turned on layers.  Hope this works for you too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So reading through these in a panic as well.  My large multi-layered file on a MacPro was doing the same thing after opening and only making a few adjustments - SO...... for me - Pattern Overlay was my culprit.  That's all I can offer.  I am not techy and when it doesn't work, I'm cooked.  Just happened to try turning off Pattern Overlay and it works fine - saves fine, etc.  

Hope this helps someone......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines