Could not complete your request because of a program error.

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this error message only when I try to open a specific file. I created the file in Photoshop myself and saved as a PDF. Other files will open just fine.  Tried opening with CS6 and CC 19.0. Working on a Mac. Thank you!

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Explorer , Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018
With the latest CC Photoshop version the issue was fixed. You might need to delete the preferences and any earlier versions.

translate

Translate

Translate
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open the PDF in any application that support pdf files like Acrobat or Acrobatreader?

JJMack

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can. Even Illustrator.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this issue. I created a document with several layers in photoshop and saved it as a pdf. When I tried to open it, I got the message that because of a program error, photoshop could not complete the request. I had to create the document all over. This time I made sure I saved several psd versions before saving the pdf. Again, photoshop would not open the pdf, but would the psd.

The pdf will open in other programs, but not with layers.

I hope some from Adobe can address this. I am running CC 2018 on a MacBook.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i too am having this issue - please inform if ever resolved. Problem remains consistent across machines on same network as well as across platform MAC/PC. using latest CC update 19 i believe. I remember trying forcing file extension back to .PSD and no dice. files will open in acrobat and or illustrator.

THIS SUX. i have to rebuild some REALLY COMPLEX files. I only saved as layered PDF's to accomodate final output on a RIP that doesnt accept native PSD files.

I'm on a macpro cylinder w/latest CC update

Will try to reinstall but i think that will prove redundant. Adobe owes me many hours of my life back... that is all.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY KRAPZILLA! so problem solved. - uninstalled 2 versions of CC that showed up in applications on a macpro cylinder then reinstalled and files opened up with layers. This was a really annoying waste of time... I could tell you stories of the workarounds i created to get files to press ON TIME but that would waste more of my life...hope this helps someone in need.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS is the solution that did it for me. Thank you a bunch!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest CC Photoshop version the issue was fixed. You might need to delete the preferences and any earlier versions.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not works simply because on any action,  including trying to delete preferences, the error appears again : "could not completle your request because of a program error". I have Photoshop 22.3 with latest update on 2021, march, 11.

Can you help me ?

Thank You!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop is up to date and I don't have any previous versions to delete  

I really really really really wish to not lose this file because it's gonna take me days to rebuild.

How do I "delete the preferences" as suggested please?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

In Photoshop hit CTRL + K to bring up the preferences dialog

Reset Pref.jpg

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try it, thanks a lot.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines