Could Not Move Because no layer selected

Contributor ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every answer I have read so far goes on about how the transform tool changed a long time ago. This question is not about transforming anything. I simply want to select a layer automatically. I have the option selected and I click the item on a layer that I would like to select and I get the message that I couldn't move the layer because no layer was selected. I'm not trying to move anything.

I tried carefully clicking in case my mouse was registering a change in position when I clicked. Nope. I let someone else try it--the same thing. I can't isolate when it happens, but it seems to be happening a lot more often. Anybody else have this problem?

I can't really figure out in what context it could possible be reasonable for Photoshop to give this error message when just trying to select a layer? Who cares if you have a layer selected, that's what I am trying to do.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you get that error can you capture your desktop and paste the image here. So we can see what tool is active what is or is not targeted and  the see the option selected. Photoshop has more than one option. It  not possible for is to see what is in front of your eyes. 

JJMack

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Layers panel, under the three lines that opens the pop-up menu is a little toggle switch. Make sure it is in the up position.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines