• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not open “filename.psd” because of a program error.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm receiving the error "Could not open “filename.psd” because of a program error." on specific files.

An example of this is I was working on a design yesterday and saved normally, today I receive that error when I try to open. I'm extremely frustrated with this as I just can't figure out what the issue is. The file in question I started a couple of weeks ago, and after saving and opening in the following days it was fine, until last week when I got the error. I opened it in Illustrator (which worked fine) and exported as a .psd which then allowed me to open it. However after receiving the error again today and doing the workaround the exported photoshop file hasn't kept lots of the layers (bacgkround is attached to various bits of text).

This isn't the only document it's been doing it for, I've had this issue with various documents for a couple of months. 

I've contacted support twice and they havn't been able to help, I've tried turning off my graphics processor in the ps settings which didnt work and updated my mac os to Big Sur.

Support did try opening the file their side and it didn't open for them either, so I'm presuming its something to do with the way photoshop is saving the file?

Photoshop is up to date as of today v22.2.0

Using a Macbook Pro 2015 Retina 15-inch, 16gb ram, quad core, Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
I've attached my photoshop system info as a text doc.

It's very difficult for me to test what is causing this, because I don't normally notice until the next time I try and open, and I'm scared of closing any documents now.

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Just to wrap this up the issue has been resolved. I reset all preferences and updated and it seems to be ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I'd like to add that I can open these files in Gimp too, and it keep the layers generally but all text is converted to smart objects. Interesting that Ai and Gimp can both open the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated to Big Sur 11.2.2?  That solved a lot of issues like this one but now it's introduced the can't overwrite files at randon times issue.  Photoshop will pick a file that you've opened and, at random, it will not allow you to save the file afer youve made edits to your graphic.  You have to save the file each time with a new name, in which, I usually just add a numeric digit to the end starting with 1.  Adobe is aware of the issue but haven't fixed it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, I'll try it now. Due to the above issue almost all my projects have a bunch of numerics at the end already so whats a few more! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No dice unfortunately. Still getting the same error. Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to wrap this up the issue has been resolved. I reset all preferences and updated and it seems to be ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a same issue.. How to fix this 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you try to reset Photoshop's preferences by holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Pc) Cmd+Opt+Shift (Mac) as you click on Photoshop's icon to start it up.

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

If you do have access to the menu Edit>Preferences (Pc) or Photoshop>Preferences (Mac), it is possible to reset them from the General submenu.

Seamus states that he also updated Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(could not open filename.psd because of program error) i have also this same error i do all thing which adobe suggested and other user share their experience but after that i had the same error please any one and request to adobe team to solve this issue or help to come out from this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines