• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not open xxxxx.png because the ICC profile version is not supported"

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started viewing Behance live tutorials for the first time.  I have not been successful in opening any of the practice photos provided by the course instructor. Any time I attempt to open the practice photo downloads I get a message in Photoshop saying “Could not open xxxxx.png because the ICC profile version is not supported."

Does anyone know if there is something I need to do in Photoshop that would allow me to open download photos available in the Behance tutorials? If so, would you please tell me how to go about doing such ICC maintenance?  I have Photoshop 21.2.1 and use it on a Mac.

An example of a .png file that will not open is attached.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

I opened that file on my mac with Photoshop, it was fine, no errors.

The document profile option in the pulldown menu [click the small arrow and you'll see a list of options] at bottom left of the Photoshop interface shows the embedded ICC profile as 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (8bpc)'.

It also opened with no issues in Apple Preview app.

As D Fosse suggested - maybe try opening it in Preview and saving, Then try opening in Photoshop?

I've no idea why your mac is showing an issue that mine does not.

B

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't tried the file, but it sounds like it has a corrupt embedded profile.

Find an application that isn't color managed (and therefore will ignore the profile), and that can open and resave pngs. Then open the resaved file in Photoshop and assign sRGB, and Export with "embed profile" checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now I did try it. It opens fine here, but it opens as untagged. If I assign sRGB on opening it behaves just fine, exported back out with profile embedded it opens normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that information.

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "opens as untagged."

The instant I attempt to open the file in PS via: File > Open, it takes me directly to the message "Could not open xxxxx.png because the ICC profile version is not supported."  It does not give me an option to assign it as sRGB

Would you please tell me how to go about assigning it as sRGB on opening it?

I have tried to open several tutorial pictures from Behance and they have all behaved the same way.  I'll attach another one just in case you want to test it too.AnrJUD7G.png

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untagged means it opens without an icc profile.

If there is a profile in that file, it's corrupt or broken. I don't know why your Mac Photoshop chokes on it while my Windows version just throws the profile out and opens the file without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd make a quick adjustment to Color Settings, turning off RGB colour management policies to get the files open:

off.png

Don't forget to set it back to what it originally was (in my case preserve).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the exact same situation, tried this....didn't work. Still won't open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened that file on my mac with Photoshop, it was fine, no errors.

The document profile option in the pulldown menu [click the small arrow and you'll see a list of options] at bottom left of the Photoshop interface shows the embedded ICC profile as 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (8bpc)'.

It also opened with no issues in Apple Preview app.

As D Fosse suggested - maybe try opening it in Preview and saving, Then try opening in Photoshop?

I've no idea why your mac is showing an issue that mine does not.

BTW, what did you want to do with the image downloaded from Behance? I expect it will be covered by copyright law.

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested, I was able to open the xxx.png files in Preview.  After doing that they still would not open in Photoshop.  However, in Preview I saved the xxx.png files as xxx.psd.  After doing that, they opened in Photoshop.  Thanks D_Fosse and NB_Colourmanagment  for the work-around.  However it is still puzzling as to why the Behance xxx.png files won't open directly in my Photoshop.  Just wish that they would.

The other suggestions in this thread did not resolve the problem.

NB_Colourmanagment, in response to your comment, please be aware that my only use for these photos is to follow along with the instructer in Behance and to practise.  The instructors encouraged the download and use for that purpose.

Thanks to everyone for your efforts in providing suggestions to deal with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NB_Colourmanagment, in response to your comment, please be aware that my only use for these photos is to follow along with the instructer in Behance and to practise.  The instructors encouraged the download and use for that purpose.

Thanks for the clarification and I am pleased we could give you a workaround. 

Please mark the answer/s that helped you as correct so others searching here can see the solution 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you open the file in "preview"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fabimed

Thanyou so much for your question

How do you open the file in "preview"?

On a Mac?

Highlight the file icon with the cursor, control click or right click to get the contextual (pop out) menu and select "open with" then navigate to Preview and click it.

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue on my Mac.  None of the responses worked for me, but I opened it in Preview and then exported it to a PDF. Then I was able to open it in Photoshop without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For Windows users

How I got around this issue was to right click on the file and open with paint. From here go to file>save as and select jpeg. Now open you new JPG file in Adobe Photoshop.

Hope this helps some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines