• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not parse the file contents as a data set. The name 'ŸþV' is not a variable in the current doc

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm new to using variables in photoshop.

What I'm trying to do is use a data set from an excel file (I've used both tabbed .txt and .csv) but I keep getting this error
"Could not parse the file contents as a data set. The name 'ŸþV' is not a variable in the current document"

I have no idea where this name is coming from. All of my text is in English, I made a new document with just one list called Var1 which matches everything I've named in the photoshop file. What am I doing wrong?

(I highlighted a mistake I've made in the excel sheet. Is that causing the issue?)

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Technical: Ÿþ is 0xFFFE, when a string is treated as UTF-8. But 0xFFFE is the "Byte order marker" in UTF-16/UCS-2. The problem is therefore the encoding of the file. Encodings are vital to data merges, and yet they seem not well understood at all by the people who document them and make videos, so it's no wonder the people who just try to use it don't set it correctly. "We leave this on automatic" meaning "I have no clue what this does".

Simple: try changing the data source encoding to UTF-16.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshophelp.PNGphotoshophelp2.PNGphotoshophelp3.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's 2 things you could try I can think of:

- try renaming the file to .csv instead of .txt

- see what happens if instead of your current values in the Var1 column you only have "simple" data

ie: What happens if you use the following as the content of your file?

Var1
testing
with
nothing
but
text

Good luck! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technical: Ÿþ is 0xFFFE, when a string is treated as UTF-8. But 0xFFFE is the "Byte order marker" in UTF-16/UCS-2. The problem is therefore the encoding of the file. Encodings are vital to data merges, and yet they seem not well understood at all by the people who document them and make videos, so it's no wonder the people who just try to use it don't set it correctly. "We leave this on automatic" meaning "I have no clue what this does".

Simple: try changing the data source encoding to UTF-16. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right! Now I have another issue,

bryanmelhuish_0-1596575159267.png

It's only picking up one of my entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines