• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not place .jpg because reading arithmetic coded jpeg files is not implemented

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody

when I open a new image in adobe photoshop 2018. show error box with this message.

Could not place "my_image_name.jpg" because reading arithmetic coded jpeg files is not implemented.

please help me to resolve this problem.

IMG-20190105-WA0004.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Something similar happens to me sometimes with files received from elsewhere. What I do is open in some other program... such as Windows Paint... and immediately save as a tiff file. (Usually opens in a program like that.) Then I place the 'new' version in Photoshop.

I resave as a tiff because jpg is lossy and this way I don't incur further loss on an already lossy file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

What exactly do you mean by

when I open a new image in adobe photoshop 2018.

?

Are you creating a new image (if so: how exactly?) or opening an image?

Why are you still using Photoshop CC 2018?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you clarify what you are doing.

You say open a new image but it actually looks like you are trying to open an image file. It also looks like that particular file is corrupt.  Have you tried opening an alternative jpeg file that you have previously opened OK.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file contains Arithmetic Coding instead of Huffman Coding (standard).

It seems Photoshop doesn't support Arithmetic Coding.

See for instance here:

Huffman and Arithmetic Coding

or something better.

One needs an appropriate file viewer.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something similar happens to me sometimes with files received from elsewhere. What I do is open in some other program... such as Windows Paint... and immediately save as a tiff file. (Usually opens in a program like that.) Then I place the 'new' version in Photoshop.

I resave as a tiff because jpg is lossy and this way I don't incur further loss on an already lossy file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you occulus.nigra resolved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most welcome Glad it helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I ran into the same error message and when I tried opening the .JPG in multiple applications (Preview on MacOS, various web browsers, Windows Paint, etc.), I tried opening it in Adobe Illustrator and I was able to view it. You just have to select the object and unembed the image, then save it in either .PSD or .TIF format. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines